1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finishing, a stain and oil question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by D.Don, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Rosewood neck, defretted and soon to be radius sanded (my 10" 300mm radius block arrived today). When I was at the wood shop today buying sand papers, I found a nice finishing "sponge" to use after the 400 grit paper, and the clerk got curios and asked what I was about to do.

I told him the story, and that I was to stain the neck and then danish oil, and he asked if my stain was water based, and as a matter of fact, I think it probably is. And he told me I needed some kind of sealer before using the danish oil as intended or else he said, the oil will possibly destroy the stain job?

My first idea was to just buy the stuff and then ask you guys, but as it was 15 euros for the sealer and I am doing this on my hobby budget, it was really not a good idea just to take the chance.

All advice on this is highly appreciated, I have ordered a "all you need to know about wood finishing" book, but it has not arrived yet- I am really grateful for all of you good guys here who already knows about these things and hope someone could shade some light on this.

Cheers!

EDIT: Funny guys here!! (Changed taint to stain, language barrier)

D.Don

2. Im not sure how you apply your taint to a Bass. Im also sure I dont want to know.

:bag:

3. Oh you mean Stain ? Around here Taint means something entirely different.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is one of those cultural slang differences that are oh so funny. :D

5. English is my third langauge... so it's not always the easiest thing to get all stuff right here ..

Yeah, Stain ...

;)

D.Don

6. Ha Ha Taint stain...

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never needed to use a sealer over a water based stain or dye when coating it with danish oil or any oil based finish. The solvents in the danish oil should not react with the stain once it is fully dry.

There are some oil based stains that will bleed into an oil based finish coat. But if that is truly a water based stain it will not be a problem.

Find out for sure what it is first.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    There are also stains that have a sealer in them, example: Minwax has a line out that includes a sealer in the stain.

9. Thanks!!

There's not a word on the bottle of ingredients, but it tells to clean tools with water, and that it has a certification of "not very hazardous for the environment", so it's most probably based on water ..

D.Don

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're right. You can always test it on a scrap of wood, allow to dry and apply danish oil.

11. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    good god I almost got fired reading this thread.

12. Just tell your boss t'ain't nothin' to worry about.

13. Yeah, that will probably be part of the procedure here anyway being a first timer and all...

:)

D.Don

14. Okay, found some more information about this stain, apparently one can oil, vernish or wax on top of this, and it says that it settles on all woodtypes. So I guess I should be fine, just stained a piece of pretty hard wood here, and will give it another shot in an hour and then we'll see (oil hasn't arrived yet, so that will have to wait anyway).

Thanks!!

D.Don