Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing alder

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Minimalist, Feb 27, 2006.

1. I'd like to get a new body (for my bass, that is ;) ). I'm pretty sure I want alder and I'm on a budget.

I don't have a room where I could use spray paint and don't want to do it outside. I read a little on reranch and other sites on the web, but I am confused. Will stain/dey deliver good results with alder? I read on several sites that alder is difficult to stain.

So, what is the easiest and cheapest way to finish alder in a solid color? Time is not an issue, so twenty coats of tru-oil would be fine. :)

2. solid color? kinda difficult to achieve good results without spray. If you want clear, tru-oil or wipe-on poly will do the trick just fine.

3. I finished some chairs (I believe they are made from Parawood?) with a black stain and actually got very good results. My questions is more if alder can be stained?

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I think the point he was making was that you will not get solid color without spraying paint. Stain will just give you stained wood, no matter what color stain you use.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Alder is soft. If you want a natural finish, go with at least 10 coats of wipe on poly. Tru-Oil too soft. Still expect dings.

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    And I would let that stuff cure for about two weeks before buffing it.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Rubbing out wipe on poly can be done with 0000 steel wool and paste wax for a beautiful satin sheen.