Finishing fretless fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gastambide, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I have an Ibanez mini-Musician bass from the 80's that I had defretted years ago. The luthier filled the slots in the rosewood fingerboard with ebony, and did a beautiful job. I installed Bartolini soapbars in it (passive), and thought it was as good as it could get...That is, until I played a Pedulla Buzz, and fell in love with the feel of that neck and fingerboard! My question is, Does anyone know exactly what the Buzz bass's fingerboard is finished with? Is it an epoxy, and if so will the commonly available ones (System 3 Clearcoat) give me that same type of finish and hardness? I have been playing roundwounds on that poor, bare rosewood fingerboard, and it's beginning to get mildly rough in spots. I would ideally like to color the fingerboard with an ebony-like stain or paint, and then apply the finish. If I do this, I would like to put white fret line markers on the SIDE ONLY of the neck. Any feasible ways to achieve this? Thanks!
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Pedulla uses a polyester type finish he calls "Diamondkote". He'll do it for you for an arm and a leg or you can get similar results with an epoxy product or spar varnish. There are several current threads dealing with this in this forum that you should look up.
  3. Here are some ideas I just thought of, not sure if they would work to your satisfaction (sorry about the crude diagrams):

1. use a light coloured veneer, but make sure that the stain does not seep to the side you want to see

2. or better, as above, but cut (diagonally) the veneer strip in two. One in a shape as follows for the side piece, which is not stained

and the main piece that is stained like
    \ |

for the strip

3. Or, as 2, but cut the strips in a rectangular shape rather than diagonal
    _ _________

the small strip can be say 2 or 3mm wide, just enough to allow for insertion without breaking it. The small strip is stained by the larger one is not

I'm sure there are many other ways.