Finishing instructions for my bass guitar kit.?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Davesound, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    hi
    I have a bass kit I'm putting together.I've sanded the body.Per the Reranch store I'm to apply an oil bassed grain filler.To me the instructions make no sense.I've got a can of gray pasty stuff to apply.It say 's to apply it with a rag ,cloth.Then let the thinner evaporate for 10 to 15 minutes. What thinner.?If I applied it as is out of the can the bass would be very ruff.Do I thin the grain filler ?.Its not clear?I tried calling them but no one answered.I'm 73 so maybe I'm just not comprehending this as I should?

Thanks

Dave A

2. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Just found out grain filler is not needed on basswood,which is the wood I'm using.

Thanks

Dave A

3. earlysecond

earlysecond In Memoriam

Jan 26, 2016
    Never used their products. Pretty much use automotive paint. Anything designed to fill grain should be pretty thick right.? Ive built a good many kits, most were basswood. I used really thin dye and immediately coated with clear polyurethane. Basswood is fairly smooth. Even with very thick auto poly sprayed in thick coats, it takes a good amount of build. See my kit build "iced bongo #5" Its a basswood body kit. I dyed it, pounded 3 coats of clear. Sanded it back with 320 grit paper. Added some sparkly middle coats then sprayed 3 more coats of clear. Wet sanded and buffed it is flat smooth and nice and glossy. Not ssure what you bougt or will use but its gonna take a lot of coats to get smooth surfaces which buff up glossy. Ggod luck and sharre your results.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What you do is to apply the grain filler with a bondo paddle, let it dry, then sand it down with a sanding block. What they are talking about with the thinner, I assume, is that it takes 15 minutes for the solvents to flash off, but that is a really poor way of explaining it.

5. praisegig

praisegig Gold Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    The ReRanch filler is an oil based filler that has a certain amount of reducer (thinner) added to keep it somewhat soluble in the can . Out of the can, it is very thick. It needs to be thinned to a workable consistency, similar to peanut butter. I use naptha to thin

I use an old credit card to apply, working it into the grain from all angles. You need to let it set up a few minutes to allow the solvent to flash off and the surface starts to haze over. Then use a scrapper to remove all the excess, across the grain. Once the excess is removed, I then wipe across grain with a piece of burlap wetted with naptha to smooth out somewhat. Let dry over night, then level sand. Repeat the process until the field is completely filled and level

Using an oil based filler, I suggest using a wash-coat of clear before applying filler. This wash-coat will keep the oils from staining the field of the wood. I do this process each time between coats of filler.

As with any finishing product, read the instructions on the label or known experiences of others. There are other grain filling mediums that are much easier to use than oil based version. JMHO & E

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022