1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finishing options, and prices

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by instigata, Mar 21, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i think i want to do a tung oil finish, then cover that with a satin poly. how much would the materials for this cost, and where can i get them?

just thinking ahead. havent even picked body woods yet. haha

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Depending on how you plan to apply and what process you use, about $30, give-or-take. I wet sand oil in to fill grain, so I shell out extra for the right sandpaper (not a lot, but more than not). What poly were you thinking?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Basschair,
    Are you referring to wet/dry sandpaper when you say 'shell out the extra $$ for the right sandpaper'?
    What kind of sandpaper do you use to fill in the grain with oil?
    Just curious.

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    just a clear satin. not too sure what other options there in that regard. whatever is good? haha.

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, the black sheets of wet/dry, followed by the grey sheets used in automotive paint work. I start with about 400 and work up to 2000 or so. Wetsand the whole body, let it sit to dry (about 2 days), and repeat with a finer grit. I think it was BassKahuna who had some older posts with links to the in depth process.

:)

I meant what brand and whether or not you want a wipe-on versus something that needs to be applied with a brush or spongebrush.

6. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    not sure about the brand, but i think id prefer wipe on.