1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finishing options

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wRaith, May 10, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi all,

After a quick trip to the hardware store, I've found 3 possible options for putting a clear finish on the bass I'm building.

1. Danish oil
    2. Burnishing oil (very similar to tung oil according to the guy at the hardware store).
    3. Hand-rub polyurethane (liquid in a can designed to be applied by hand with a lambswool cloth)

I want my finish to be clear, not colour or stain the wood underneath and give a nice, hard, protective coating. Which of these options would be most suited for these requirements?

Cheers.

2. Danish oil will give the wood an amber finish. It's not a water clear finish.

3. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Well that's out then.

The hand-rub poly I mentioned is actually a poly/tung oil mix, so maybe I'll give that a go.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    what kind of patina are you trying to achieve??? Gloss, semi gloss, or satin, like an oil finish? Pure Tung oil will give you an almost water clear finish. There are also products on the market that are Poly/Oil mixes that give the oiled look, but with the Polyurethane hardness. Stay away from Burnishing Oil, as it really is NOT as durable as Tung oil. IMHO

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Hey Musiclogic, what types of poly/oil blends have you tried, and what did you think?