1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finishing Order...?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Betyouaint, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Okay... so most of the construction of my bass is done...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/rickenbacker-4005-copy-283322/index7.html

...and I'm in position to start assembly and finishing. I've glued the back to the hollow-body with the intention of sliding in the neck after the color has been applied (sunburst on the body, more solid on the neck) but before the final topcoats have been applied. The alternative is to fit the neck and then mask off as required to complete the body and neck individually. Is one approach better than the other? Had it been a bolt-on then the answer seems obvious but as this is a mortice/tenon neck-through design based on the Rickenbacker hollow-body style it's not so clear cut. Again, if it was to be one solid color then I would probably assemble neck to body first and then paint.

My other dilemma is when in the process I should fit the binding to the rear panel. The way I figure it, I should route the binding recess, spray the base coats and color coats, then glue the binding, then apply the topcoats. However, this is likely to fill the binding recess with several layers of lacquer. Or should I be masking the recess (both surfaces) to prevent this? Or is there a better way?

Thanks...

2. jaredkurtov

jaredkurtov Commercial User

Aug 8, 2012
    Taos NM
    Owner/Builder: Kurtov Stringed instruments, West Asheville Lutherie
    I always do the binding before i start the finsihing process. i rout the channel, glue the binding in, scrape it flush with the guitar, and sand to the final sanding before any finish goes on the guitar.

Once the guitar is sealed and colored ( with a clear sealer coat over the colors) i then scrape the binding with a razor knife and spray a clear coat over it to seal everything in and continue with the finish process.