1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finishing the finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Sep 1, 2008.

1. how many of you use a paste wax to bring your work to a high gloss (mirror-like) finish? I tend to just use instrument polish but have heard some good things about paste wax.

2. low end fuzz

low end fuzz

May 9, 2008
    i could be wrong; but the wax isnt going to get you a high gloss;
    its good for finishing oil and stuff, but its another beast altogether;
    i use wax on turnings and theyre shiny and smooth, but faaar from anyhting id consider 'mirror' finish; polishes are the only way (incl.pumice and rottenstone) because theyre still removing layers of scratches as oposes to filling them to a unform surface

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Micromesh.

You'll get this:

[​IMG]

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A high-quality paste wax that includes a high proportion of Carnauba (my favorite is Liberon Black Bison neutral) will offer a modicum of abrasion and moisture resistance, and can be buffed to a high gloss if the underlying finish is already glossy, but wax, alone, won't turn a satin finish into a gloss finish.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If your instrument has a shiny surface to begin with, you can get some good results from a good car polish that has a little bit of "cleaner" or polishing compound. I use a polymer polish (not wax) and my glossy instruments have a GREAT shine and resist scratching and fingerprinting better than with other polishes.

6. Im sorry, i forgot to mention that I ALWAYS polish with a rubbing compound as my last step. My question was if using a paste wax after polishing would create a more even finish.