1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finishing the Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floyd, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Hi people,

I've recently got my warmoth gecko pieces and have started putting it together.
    The neck is not finished, it is a maple neck with a birdseye maple fingerboard.
    I believe it is important to have maple finish so as to avoid warping. Thing is I really dont want any feel to the neck other than it is now, very smooth.
    What can I use to finish the neck and protect from warping that wont take away the 'feel' it has at the moment.

Cheers

2. I disagree; old fenders will have next to no finish on the necks by now and I doubt they are warping...

my grabber sure isn't! and i know what you mean about no feel to the neck.. it feels great!! :p

3. I've recently finished a maple neck with MinWax satin polyurethane. Did 3 very thin coats all over the neck, sand with 400 grit in between each coat. Then 2 more extra thin coats over the back of the neck only (exclude the head stock), again sand with 400 grit in between coats. I know what you mean about wanting to retain the bare wood feel, I was going for the same thing too and the multiple thin coats of satin polyurethane seems to work well because I really like the feel of the neck now.

[​IMG]

4. I think the polyurethane finish is the way Im going. When coating the fingerboard do you remove the varnish from teh frets afterwards or mask them up before?