Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing-up my Fodora

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chalie, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I got a 1985 Fodera Emperor Elite 5 which I bought it as used a while ago.
    The bass body are in a poor condition, mean the previous owner(s) were poory taking care of this bass. The coating are chipping off in various places from knocking with something and also from using it.
    Beside this, the bass were heavily played where the frets wareness is noticed and the wood around the pups is eaten off by the thump. Lots of scares !

I woder if I should re-finishing this bass or not or should I leave it as it is.

Since I use to re-finished my Alembic Spoiler myself so I have no fear to work on this one but my Alembic only has the coating problem from aging not these kind of problems.

I am looking for some advice from luthier which I like to discuss further on e-mail.

Thanksssss :rollno:

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eek: What kind of people do this to a very expensive custom bass... :rollno:

My advice is to take it to a highly respected luthier who really knows his trade. If you try to repair it yourself and you make some wrong moves, you can destroy the resale value of a very expensive instrument.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A bass is a tool that is to be played, not put in a glass case and stared at like at an Art Gallery.

If the bass in unplayable, bring it to a Tech and make it playable. If not, play it!!!!!

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nino, a bass is to be used, not to be abused :rolleyes:

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I agree. There's typical, normal wear...

...and then there's using the bass as a shovel or something.

6. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Abuse is bad.

Attached Files:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There is chips in the finish, fretwear, wear on the p/u covers from "thumping".

Sounds like the bass has been played ALOT. IMO, it don't sound like abuse. :)