Finishing up my Jazz parts bass (new bunch-of-parts day)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JGbassman, Nov 2, 2017.

1. A couple semi finished shots of my beater jazz parts bass that I absolutely adore. I Just added an early 90’s MIJ neck, which really looks good. I added a 70’s style fender bridge at the same time. The custom shop 60’s pickups sound great and it’s a fun bass to play. I patterned this after my brothers ancient MIM jazz he has had forever, and it’s going to be fun playing this weekend.

Well here ya go!

3B709D93-DDB7-4D5B-B475-39EE13E7338C.jpeg 2E352EEC-9664-4F44-8257-4DD3338F47D2.jpeg

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Instant classic. Enjoy!

Pbassmanca and JGbassman like this.
  3. I've been mostly playing my p basses over the last six months, so this definitely has a different feel. The neck really has a nice profile, fuller than thinner if you will and a great transition between my precisions.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks great, JG!

5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This anti burst guy might be slowly warming up to it...

Nice bass. Certainly doesn't look like a beater.

JGbassman likes this.
  6. Thanks spidey! I knew you would like it. I've been banging around with this bass over the last seven years or so, mostly as a fretless, but I wanted to get it more playable with what I'm doing now. (I still have a Jaco Sig fretless jazz, that I'll never sell so I'll have that around too)

With the neck it really feels like the roadworn models; nice and broken in, you would like it' ( I know you like your jazz basses!) I've rewired this more times than I can count, but I really like the fender custom shop pickups, they have a nice vintage bite to them. The tuners are kind of rough and need a little tlc to smooth them out (they are original to the neck) but they came with the neck, so they will stay. All in all, it's a comfortable and fun bass to play

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. It's got it's fair share of chips and dings, it's no case queen by any means. It does have a really nice burst to it, one of the reasons I've kept the body around. It's a very easy playing bass, but it still needs some more tweaks to get it dialed in. The truss rod adjustment is in the heel, so I have to take the neck off everytime I make an adjustment.

packhowitzer likes this.
  8. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Lookin' Good

JGbassman likes this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Pretty sweet! Sounds like you're definitely in a good spot, with this one! Enjoy!

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sounds like you're in a good place, with this one! Enjoy! If I ever do another kit build, maybe a Jazz with the CS pups?

JGbassman likes this.
  11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I’ve got 2 jazz basses with cs60s. They are great. Actually my road worn has cs60s. I’ve also got a few Japanese necks. They are great.

JGbassman likes this.
  12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi JG :) "(new bunch-of-parts day)"

:D looks like a great punch to party with :hyper::hyper::hyper:

candy-corn-punch.jpg

sorry didn't find any punch with black chocolat on top :D

happy "NBoP day" :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Spidey2112 and JGbassman like this.
  13. Mating a neck to a body is always a challenge, some fit and feel better than others. I’m a fan of the older Japanese lutherie (my fave P bass is an 87 mij, and I have a few older charvels) so when I had a chance to pick up this neck a few weeks ago I did.

This neck and body feel as if they were built for each other. (Maybe the body is a vintage Japanese?) I didn’t even have to mess with the intonation, it was dead on (a first for me when swapping a neck). The bass honestly feels like a broken in pair of leather work gloves, the ones that fit your hands perfectly.

This won’t take the place of my Precision’s in my current band, but it’s definitely going to get a workout tonight.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good luck, with the gig!

15. Thanks. This weekend is with my low stress/hi fun 80’s hair metal band. We play small clubs within an hour of the house, and enjoy each other and make a few dollars on the side. The actual band has been together for 9 years, I’ve bounced in and out a couple of times over the last six years. They set the pa up, (I help tear down) so it’s an easy gig.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. A few shots of Karrie (singer) and I goofing around on stage. As it’s halloween, I added a few pics of various stage Halloween atire from this and previous years.

We have an absolute blast when we play and always get the audience wound up at the same time.

E543AE8E-6F5A-4766-92F8-982D9D16ED75.jpeg 92E26EA9-9B1C-44DD-B24E-958929F9AA6D.jpeg 5C8AA724-BD53-45A8-9AE6-6F9DE57E8045.jpeg 1BF1B293-1C6A-4CF3-8B09-A4FBFFAAD4F3.jpeg

17. That is an awesome looking instrument!

It gets me GAS-ing to build my mid 70's Dee Dee Ramone/Sid Viscous P-bass clone (maple neck, Olympic white body, black pick guard)...

JGbassman likes this.
  18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    lol case queen. perfect term for a pristine bass.

JGbassman likes this.
  19. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Nicely done!

JGbassman likes this.
  20. Just do it! Start collecting parts, the next thing you know you will have a completed instrument

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022