finishing warmoth bodies...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 12, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    but not through warmoth. what are cheaper alternatives (besides doing it yourself or just using oil)?

i guess maybe a local place could do it cheaper?
  2. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Try going to an automotive painting place and see if you could get one of the painters to do it for you on the side. Don't be put off by doing it yourself if you simply want a clear coat or clear coat over stain. I finished an alder dresser with satin polyurethane and it turned out really good. And I had never finished anything before. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same on a Warmoth body. It amounted to light sanding between coats and making sure to remove the dust with tack cloth. I applied the poly with a sponge brush, which I stored in the freezer between coats (about 10). Really easy, and I can say I did it. You can also mix colored tints into the can of poly for transparent finishes.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    From your series of posts, I've noticed you're pretty intent on building your own bass, and also shy about removing the finish from a Rickenbacker neck.

What exactly are you planning to do? Are you looking to build and finish a bass in place of removing the finish from the neck of a Ric or what?

Finishing a body can be done fairly well using aerosol laquers from with patience and plenty of reading ahead of time.
  4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Minwax Wipe-On Poly is a very nice DIY finish that gives a handrubbed look.
    Paint-wise; Idunno.