Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing with a brush?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Mar 1, 2005.

1. I saw a guy on the DIY channel the other day finishing a mandolin with nitro. He was using a brush to apply it. By the time he was finished it looked amazing.

I never hear of anyone using a brush to apply a finish on a bass. Why is that? I'm sure it takes longer than spraying and their might me more sanding required to level the finish. But, for us guys without spray equipment it seems like it would be a good option. Anyone using a brush on their instruments?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The only one I've heard of so far using a brush for finish is Wishy.

:bag:

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You can certainly get a fine finish aplying with a brush. A LOT of furnature is done that way, and even the majority of the $250 kitchen tables have better finishes than a Wishy ( and a LOT more area to finish too. ) As long as you know what you're doing and how to deal with the finish you're putting on. Heck take a look at some hardwood floors after a decent refinishing. I've seen it done with paint rollers, and in the end it looked as good as probably 70-80% of the instrument manufacturers.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you use a brush you have to contend with brush marks and bubbles. It takes a great deal of patience to get a nice, even coat, but it can be done. It also pays to have a good brush, and those can be expensive.

You may end up doing a lot more level sanding with a brush, but in the absence of a spray booth, if you are patient and careful you can get it done.

5. Hey, QVC offered Esteban acoustics have a brushed on finish, and they "rival" his 5 thousand dollar custom...

v:O)

6. That infomercial is funny. :D

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Stradivarius didn't have any spray gun...

It will take you a little longer, with some extra sanding, or you can learn good brush teqnique. I've seen furniture makers doing one layer after another to perfection, without internediate sanding.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Stradivarius didn't have any spray gun...

It will take you a little longer, with some extra sanding, or you can learn good brush teqnique. I've seen furniture makers doing one layer after another to perfection, without internediate sanding.