Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing with anything brush-on and getting the whole bass covered

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

I'm trying to think long-term here, and am thinking about using polyurethane (pad/brush-on) for at least one of the next few basses. I was trying to figure out ways to get the whole body covered with each coat, and thought about creating a mock-neck to fix the body to so that I can suspend it in various positions to allow full access without anything rubbing against the wet surfaces (which I thought might happen with tying/hanging). Anyone tried this before? Do any of you have suggestions on other methods that allow for the same goal?

2. What you've described is the most typical thing that I've seen.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The mock neck is typical.

Brushing finishes like lacquer and poly onto a curvy thing like a bass can get a bit tricky in terms of dealing with bubbles, streaks, and runs. If you can spray, it's probably going to save you some hassle. Even the polyurethane in the rattle cans might make it a bit less of a pain in the butt. Something to consider.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I was a bit worried about that. My scrap piece soaked up the first layer, and bubbled a bit on the second. I was thinking about playing around with temperatures a bit (both of the poly and the wood), but am leary of getting it just right...