Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing with common aerosol cans?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ob1, Jan 20, 2003.

1. I'm thinking about refinishing the old framus i posted about earlier. I tried to remove a bit of the old finish(under the pickguard) and it came off nicely. What I want to do is to plug the holes where the bridge and pickup covers and pickguard were mounted, and spray some kinda paint over that. Can I go with any type of spraypaint that says "suitable for wood" on the can? I know a bit about spraying, refinished my old moped (10yrs ago) and learned a lot about primer and such, bet will I get a somewhat durable and sonically acceptable finish in this way?

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I wouldn't. I've tried it in the past and found that the finish wasn't very durable, or very nice looking. Lacquer based paint followed by a lacquer clearcoat is the best looking and most durable finish. I bought all my paints for my current project (see my thread in misc.) at www.reranch.com

There's a great walkthrough there.

www.stewmac.com also sells body paints.

3. I was thinking of something laquer based, but it seems to be impossible to find it in aerosols in finland. Ordering from the states is impossible (can't ship flammable stuff to europe), and expensive, and I'm not getting a spay rig for one job..

I'm going to visit a guy who does paintjobs on cars today, and ask him about different finishes.

The closest luthier I've found lives 300km away, so visiting would cost as much as the paintjob...:mad: