Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing your bass 102

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 1, 2002.

1. I hate to bring up this question again but I'm really nervous about starting my Warmoth project. I bought the supplies I need from the ReRanch to do a clear gloss finish but I'm thinking for my first bass I may be getting in over my head.

I've heard several other methods mentioned: Tung Oil, Polymerized Tung-Oil, Minwax, Tru-Oil, etc....

What is an easy to apply, clear finish, that can be buffed to a nice shine? I don't think I want to stain the color of the wood, just keep it natural. Also, I'm doing this to Swamp Ash which has a very open grain. Do I need to use some "grain filler" first or will the finish fill it in. Could someone give me a step by step tutorial for acheiving a nice finish?

I've attached a picture of what I want this think to look like.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You can get there with Tru-Oil and 0000 steel wool pretty easily, for about $10. Don't worry about filling the grain, just keep on adding coats until you are happy with it.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yep.
    Just beware of where thap steel wool goes!!!
    If some of it gets into the pup routings, or near them, you are in for some mag/elec trouble later on.
    Perhaps use a synthetic alternative, like Scotchbrite, or really high grit sand instead.

4. Here is what I ended up doing and so far I'm happy with the results.

First I applied grain filler. The first 2 coats did not work well because I didn't mix the stuf up good enough before using it (mistake #1). The third coat worked great.

I wiped the excess grain filler off with mineral spirits but was concerned about pulling it out of the grain so I didn't get as much off as I would have liked.

When it dried I made a sanding block out of a piece of scrap (mistake #2). The scrap of wood had an imperfection that I didn't notice and when I sanded the filler off I scratched up the wood. Because of poor lighting I didn't notice the scratches until later after applying 2 coats of Sand and Sealer. You can't see them unless you look real closely.

Now I started using a Min-wax wipe on poly. So far it comming out vey nice. I will have to sand the first coat and start adding more.

Next I will polish it and it will be done.