Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing Zebrawood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Groove Theory, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I've been reading a bit and I understand that some oil finishes won't work so well on Zebrawood. :eyebrow:
    I'm working on a 4 string body that is solid Zebrawood, and I'm about to the point that I'll be finishing it. I've been planning on using Tru-Oil, however, with what I've read lately, I wonder if some other finish would work better? any comments/suggestions?

2. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    I used tru oil on zebrawood with great results.

3. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Right on! :D did you use any kind of sealer before the tru-oil? or was it just raw wood?

4. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    nope. just went straight on. no fuller or sealer. so the pores are open. but if i kept on sanding and adding more layers they would have been filled.

i got a piece of padauk that i want to try the epoxy filling method on.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Padauk = my favorite wood. Next is probably white korina.

6. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    It seems sort of brittle. Do you find this to be true? I am using it for ears on a friends headstock, he like to thrash around and use his bass like a bat instead of an instrument. I am a bit concerned it will chip off easily.

It is nice to take a rasp too.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Padauk? I haven't noticed much brittleness, as far as construction goes. It's a little flaky, but the wood has fairly large pores, so it soaks up a bit of the finish. When the finish hardens, it helps to strengthen the wood. As for playing, I don't thrash around, so I can't really comment on its tolerance to dings and whatnot. It's a bit harder than maple, though, so it should hold up well. A good alternative would be bubinga, or if you've got the $$$, pao ferro. I just love the way glossed paudauk looks, though.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Zebrawood can make a nice body. Here's one done by someone else.

9. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    That is one nice bass...yeah, in my experience w/ zebrawood it's great to work with, we'll see how the finishing goes.