Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finishing...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Selta, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OK, so I have this bass...Ibanez SR305DX, in black. I have this car that I just painted...with leftover paint. I have about 1 quart leftover. So, my questions are:
    1) Is that enough paint (1 quart) for how ever many coats of paint it takes?
    2) How do I go about this, what grit sandpaper to use, methods of sanding, should I sand to the wood, etc.etc.
    3) How do I paint a burst?
    Thanks
    Ray

2. The paint should work just fine. I don't see why it wouldn't.

You might want to get a little bit more, I'm not sure if a quart is gonna be enough.

You don't want the wood to be too rough, so sand it down pretty good, but not so smooth as to make the body too slick for the paint to stick evenly. You don't want it to run.

You'll probably want to apply more than one coat, so in between coats, sand it down with a very light grain sand paper, or #0000 steel wool.

I don't know how to paint a burst.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, see, (for cars anyway) 1 qt = 1 qt after mixing (100% mix with reducer)...So, sand to the wood, make it rough enough for paint to stick, sand in between coats, hmmmm all this sounds awfully familiar (from painting the car...):D thanks
    Ray