Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finnally picked my setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    ive asked a lot of questions about recording in order to make my final disicsion but i want to now what i can do to add to my setup
    i am reletively new at the sound card game but i now how to use the recording programs and editors pretty well
    heres what ive decided on

cubase vst 32 and the inca 88 8/8 sound card with b-out box

is this good for a not so newby
    now heres my question should i record by plugiing direct or with a recording mic which has clearer sound i should say

and is hardware dsp better than software and if it is is it better to go pci card dsp or one of the external rack mount ones. and if hardwar is better do you now of andy good dsp cards or rackmount boxes for reltively cheap.

thanx for any help

2. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    If you have an amp sound that you like a lot and any sort of decent microphone, go that route. If you can't find a good sound with your amp (or have no good mics) try direct.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use software dsp. I think if you have a 24/96 file and process it with a good program (internal sample rate) you should be all set.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    How much does a decent sound card cost? Mine sucks and has no way of running direct into the comp... crazy no?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A decent one costs around 200$, e.g. M-Audio/Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496.

Terratec and Hoontech also make good ones in that range, just don't buy Creative Labs(!).