Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finnaly have $$$ please help me upgrade my rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Feb 16, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    ok i finnaly sold some gear and now i have cash to upgrade my rig

INFO:
    right now i have a peavey firebass head and a 4 ohm peavey 410tx cab.
    i play in a fast kinda oldschool style hardcore
    i have to try and keep up w/ 2 5150 halfstacks and a fast technical drummer.

i wanna have a good bit more headroom than i do now so my sound is less muddy and i would like to move some air so we can feel the bass

my main question is should i upgrade the cab of the head first?
    i have found a good deal on an epifani 610 cab and i think that would be great for what im wanting but it would probably be awhile before i could get the money up for a head. would it be pointless to get a bigger cab w/o having a bigger head first?

i won't get into pre's right now but im planing on a qsc poweramp

eh i guess thats all of my rantings for now but the question is given my needs and current gear should i go for a new head or cab first?

thanks
    -Jason Smith

2. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    The Firebass is plenty comforable at 2 ohms. Get another 4 ohm cab and get the other 300 watts out of your head. If you have very big, very strong friends, the Peavey 412 is a fantastic cab that's well matched to your rig.

Good luck.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Or an Avatar 212 if your friends aren't so strong. ;)

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow. That's a peavey band if I ever saw one. Probably has a peavey PA too.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    For the most volume, that 610 would be a monster of an addition to the rig. If you can handle the weight, go ahead with that! The 412 might not be bad if you don't want a rig that could eat 5150's for a snack, but rather like a medium sized meal. ;) :)

6. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    adding another cab really ins't an option unless it was like a 2 10 because of portability so im wanting to get rid of my cab and get another but most likley w/ wheels and a tilt back bar. i also got a rack tuner for christmas and am planing on starting a rack rig w/ probably a qsc poweramp.

given my rig which would you replace first the head or the cab?

i know that that my cab could handle a larger head so i would have more headroom. But could i also crank my head more if i had a higher rated cab w/ more clarity?

-Jason

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Just get the standard hardcore band rig: a Sansamp DI->GK 1001RB-II or 800RB-> Ampeg 810.

Just get the cab. You're getting an impossibly good deal on it.

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I noticed you are in Memphis. Are you playing anytime soon?
    I know a couple guys looking to get rid of some equipment. They might be able to bring stuff to try during one of your gigs. I prefer to try something during a gig rather than purchasing it and later finding out it does not help.

9. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Next gig my band is playing in town is Friday, March 12: @ The Caravan w/ Love is Red, Traitor, Instilled.

Just email me at xjasonsmithx @ hotmail.com and tell me what kinda gear those guys are selling.

thanks alot

-Jason Smith

p.s. my band is called That was then incase you were wondering. The name is taken from the title of the S. E. Hinton book.

10. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    bump