Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finshing a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Nov 24, 2002.

1. iam all most done with my neck.it has a purple heart finger board and bubinga neck.can i just tung oil it.

2. Most of my necks that I work on are Oil finished. They do require more care and maintainance but for me the feel is worth it.

Consider how much weather will play a part in your instrument (meaning gig in Alasko followed by one in FLA) may cause more issues then a hard finish. I live in CT and mine seem to do OK, a little steel wool 2 times a year and a new coat of oil about once a year, this of course varies based on how much you play, over all dirt in the environment, how hard you grab the neck etc.

3. ok. that helps a little . some one told me some wood has to have a finsh put on and tung oil wount cut it.he said if u dont they will warp or worst,and othere woods u can just use tung oil .what woods do u have to finsh and what woods can u just use tung oil for necks.

4. Yeah. I'll look for the web site that has a list of what will oil and what wont. Bubinga seems to be cool with oil, based on the number of warwicks that use that combination, things are slightly different on a neck, but my bet is that you would be ok.

I will post that site when I find it

5. thanks for be so nice . when u find the site it will help. now all i need is the blood wood for the top and the purpleheart for the back of the wings.and i can do more work

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Hey, if you are in Tewksbury, go to Righteous Hardwoods in Rowley. They should have the bloodwood and purpleheart that you need.

7. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    All the woods you have mentioned will accept an oil finish, and if it is applied correctly it will give you a great deal of protection. and nothing feels as smooth as oil...

8. thanks fbb.are u from this area. the place i found the wood for the neck was a little high priced. ill check out that place. will they cut the wood the way u want or what.

iam a little dumb when :D u say they can be oiled u mean i can just tung oil them right.

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I'm in Northampton. I don't know if Righteous Hardwoods will sell you less than a board. Most places like to keep the boards whole because when they don't, people end up picking them to pieces and they end up with material they can't sell. Those that do sell by the inch are generally more expensive. Where did you get what you've already got?

At any rate, Righteous Hardwoods is not to be missed. HK Hardwoods in Charlton is also excellent.

10. i want the full board,would they cut it the way u want then. the place i went to thell cut it any way u want. as long as u buy the board. i cant rember the name of the place .it is some thing brothers.

11. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Righteous Hardwoods and HK both have chop saws, so they'll cross cut and that's it.

12. thank u.ill just bring the wood in and have a kid cut the wood for me in school;or i will just ask to cut it in my shop.