Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

firebass + 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well i just got my peavey 4x12 and my firebass. since its still in my house i havn't had a chance to crank it all the way but at half power it's not very loud at all. it's about the right volume for practicing at night. if i put it up higher then it vibrates the walls too much to be able to hear if it sounds good or not :(

well here's the problem-it's way bigger then i thought it would be. i think it will be a big burden to use. im considering trying to take it back and trade for the 4x10 and a hartke 3500... :(

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    You sure you have it set right? I've played an identicle rig before and it was plenty loud. You may also want to check you battery if your bass is active or raise your pickups. 275 watts through a 412 shouldnt be practice volume IMO.

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well im going to take back this massive cab and trade it for the 4x10. i think it's just too big, and also im worried about more experienced musicians razzing me for having expensive gear when i've only been playing for a couple years. :(

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    DO WHAT?????????? razzing you about having an expensive rig??? I dont think so. As a player of 15 years I will tell you this "Never take a knife to a gunfight". As a bass player you will find that most guys (that I know) take more than we need for this reason, we need clean power and alot of it. If im playing a gig where I know i will need 250 watt amp I take a 500 watt amp and run it at half throttle rather than take a 250 watt amp and run it at full throttle why you ask? Because the bigger rig does not have to work near as hard and it gives you plenty of headroom, If you take the 250 watt amp and run it at full for full night of giggin you run a serious risk of a meltdown at the amp and blowing speakers in your cab due to clipping of the amp. I say give it a chance and try it at practice then if you feel the same take it back just my .02

5. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well my main concern is being able to even get it to gigs at school since i wont have a car, and whoever my ride is will probably have a smallish car. also the 4x12 would take up a lot of space in my dorm room compared to the 4x10.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Just mount some wheel and a 5horse briggs and stratton on it and who needs a car? Portability is whole different issue, if ya cant move it ya cant play it anywhere. Usually I have 2 rigs, one that I keep at home ( a small combo amp) and my gig rig which usually stays at the practice place and only gets moved to go gig.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't think you're EQing it out properly if you can barely hear it... I play mine with the EQ settings like this...

Mid Shift = 3
    Mid = 2
    Low = 7
    High = 9
    Contour = 5
    Pregain = 5

(providing each little notch is a # going from the first notch being #1. and the last notch, or highest being #10)

I'm also playing mine at a full 700 watts...
    But you should be playing it at 475 watts, considering it should be a 4 ohm cab. (that is what the 412TVX is)

I bring my volume up to 3 and I rattle my house.
    5, and we're talkin' about slaughtering an 100 watt guitar 1/2 stack.

If you don't have the room for it, check out the 410TVX. I ran my Firebass through my 410TXF for about 2 years before I got my 115BXBW.

It should have a larger cab to handle the 475 watts, considering the 410TVX (and 410TXF) are rated at 350 watts RMS and 700 program.

Although, I never ran into a problem... And you shouldn't have to bring it past 7 and 1/2. So... the 410TXF/TVX should work fine with it...

By the way... I love my setup... Peavey Firebass II 700 + Peavey 410TXF + Peavey 115BXBW.

8. Hey cat, i was at the peavey site a few days ago comparing cabs for myself, if I remember correctly the 4X10 is really no smaller than the 4X12, if it is physical size you are concerned about.
    I think they have a 2X10 cab, which may suit you. Personally i would keep what you have, some day you may really need it.

Hey crawling eye, your rig is what i have been thinking about the last couple of weeks.
    the firebass 700 head, 410 cab and 115. But probably get the 115 later on. How would it sound compared to a fender bassman 100... ha ha.(thats what i have now.)
    eddie

9. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    ok i traded in my stuff for a 4x10tvx and a hartke 3500. the 4x10 is the same depth but it is 4 inches less wide and 10 inches shorter, and 40 pounds lighter. makes a big difference. it's actually possible to move this thing around. although i would have really liked to have been able to use the 4x12, it was simply too big and way impractical for my purposes (dorm room and small gigs).

10. Cat - don't feel bad. I own a 412 TVX and can confirm that it's huge (in size, weight... and in sound!). But, I also own a 115 BX and a 210 TXF for smaller gigs, so I've got the bases covered.

I use the 412 with a bridged Mackie 1400i (yup, 1400 watts into the cab). I have plenty of headroom and can run my setup all night.

The 410 is also a great cab. Put some wheels on it and you'll have a nice transportable cabinet.

Crawlingeye - the 410 is noticeably smaller than the 412.

John

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm well aware of the size difference between a 4x12 and a 4x10.

I'm just getting the impression that cat's going for something for the volume... I think he should aim more at sound then everything.

12. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    actually both. i happen to like the sound of the peavey cabs. but i really need portability. thats why i got the 4x10.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not to pry, but why'd you trade the Firebass for the Hartke 3500 then though?

14. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    cuz i dont need 475 watts for a 350 watt cab and i didn't want to risk overpowering it so i just got the hartke. it's also a lot smaller. and i'm not planning on expanding so i don't need the extra headroom at all.

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A 350 watt cab shouldn't have much problem handling the output of a 475 watts RMS amp unless you are running it cranked all the way up.

IMHO, you should have kept the Peavey instead of getting the Hartke, IMHO it's a better amp.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Overpower? The 410TXF and TVX can handle the firebass head finely. You're way to worried about watts, not even worried about sound. I think you should check out that one before you go buying stuff... If not, you're just wasting your money.

I even gave you an accurate figure before. You have NO chance of blowing your 410TVX with a Firebass if it goes no higher than 7 and 1/2 (which is exactly 350 watts).

Also, Peavey rates their cabs lower than they can go to. If you don't believe me, goto www.peavey.com and post a message on their board. One of their techs will tell you the same.

You would've had no problem. I said before, I used the Firebass and 410TXF before I got my 115BXBW to add to the mix, and I even cranked it to 10 already, and had no problems at all.

IMO, you should really consider what you're doing, and then consider if you're pissing away money on things for the power of them, or actually buying something because you like what it'll sound like.

17. I apologise if i sound ignorant but i was always told that a 4x12 was mainly for guitar not so much bass. I know a 4x10 gives a really good and defined sound because i have one. ;) Its just people i know who have been around music for years said to me "don't get a 4x12 thats for electric guitar!" And so i was always afraid of playing my dads 4x12's in case i blew them out.

I am confused now. lol

Merls

18. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    peavey makes a 4x12 bass amp with 4 12" bass speakers. it's a lot bigger then a 4x12 guitar cab.

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I believe you have been misinformed. The great majority of the larger speaker cabs used for guitar stacks are indeed 4x12s, as opposed to 4x10s, 2x12s, 8x10s, 2x15s, etc..

HOWEVER, not all 4x12s are made for electric guitar amps. Yes, it is true that 4x12s have not caught on as a format for bass guitar speaker cabinets. This is probably because they tend be rather large and heavy. As a result of this, there are VERY FEW mainstream bass amplifier manufacturers who offer a 4x12 for the bass guitar. This does not mean the 4x12 is a bad arrangement, it just failed to become popular on early on, so now manufacturers are reluctant to produce them.

Speaker cabinets and amplifiers are specific to an instrument; typically speaking you should not play bass through a guitar amp, and you probably shouldn't play guitar through a bass amp. Just as there are 4x12s made for bass and NOT guitar, there are 4x10s made for guitar and NOT for bass.

In summary, there is no evidence to support the statement that the 4x12 speaker configuration is any better or worse than any other speaker configuration for bass. Also, do NOT play bass through a 4x12 made for guitar.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Speak for yourself, I think you should do your homework more. 12"'s are very commonly used for bass. Look up the "Epifani" thread.

Epifani is a major bass cab company, fyi.

Same with Peavey and bag end.
    True, they're not as popular, but a lot of the manufacturers make them.