Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 1, 2004.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I played through one of those in a music store and thought it sounded great. I'd say in perfect condition $350 USD tops. you do the math
  2. They are very loud amps. As much power as you'll ever need, unless you're pushing an Acme or something equally inefficient. The tone is decent, but somewhat bland. I've got a Nitrobass (same preamp section, smaller power amp) and I don't even like to use it without my Sansamp BDDI... but I'm digressing.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Fairly uncolored. Doesn't really sound like anything.

And delete your 2 other posts. :mad:
  4. Sorry, I'm new to ths board, I didn't realise I could delete them. (They were an accident..).

So, assuming I love the sound of my baby(bass), then that should be alright?
  5. Some brands will get a wide spectrum of opinions, Peavey (or even Ampeg) among them.

Peavey, for some reason, has never gotten a reputation for creating or adding tone. I guess that's what the "bland" means. But is that necessarily bad? I personally don't have any problem with the tone I've gotten from Peavey products. And I've found Peavey to be very reliable, with good customer service. (Even people that hate the Peavey sound will concede that their gear is virtually indestructable.)

In the big scheme of things, I think "bland" may even be good. For bar gigs, especially, too much warmth could muddy the mix. What sounds good to the bass player on stage, may sound lousy out in the audience. I've seen plenty of bands with Peavey combos, and there was more than enough thump to keep the crowd dancing.

Is it a sound that you may want to record with? Well, certainly it's not an old Ampeg Portaflex, but so what.
  6. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    +1 with Nashvillebill. I used Peavey amps for close to 15 years for club gigs. I never had one fail(which is more than I can say for my old SVT-2 Pro) and the people at Peavey are the tops. IMHO most of your tone comes from your instrument and your playing style. Yeah, Peavey amps don't have the snob appeal of other brands, but who cares? They get the job done night after night.

I wish I'd never sold my Peavey Combo 300. It was a bit awkward to move, so I bought a handtruck, but that amp was as loud as I ever needed to be and I thought it's tone was quite good. I took a serious beating and never faltered.
  7. +2 I love Peavey gear. I have tried out the Firebass 700, I thought it sounded good. At the time I decided to go with a pre/power setup so I went with a Peavey Max. I am now using a Peavey Pro 500...I'll do a full review on this soon.

I have found Peavey gear to be very reliable. I will say that the Pro 500 doesn't sound like anything else I've tried from Peavey. I've used it for 2 gigs and have had a ton of compliments from local musicians. Most of them could not believe I was using a Peavey amp.
  8. I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs and for the money it can't be beat. 275 watts @ ohms, 475 @ 4 ohms and
    700 watts @ 2 ohms. I purchased a SansAmp Bass Driver and now I get all the tone I need and I did not spend a fortune. I would spend $275-325 in excellent condition as they were about $550- 595. You can check out several reviews below at the link below.
  9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Ive had a Firebass for several years. For the money this amp is really good. My only complaint is that I have lost a few screws out of the amp. Definitely make sure the screws are good and tight.

Of course it probably isnt as nice as an expensive tube amp but it has plenty of power and it faithfully reproduces the sound of your bass. I get my tone more from my bass anyway. I run mine with a Bag End 15 and/or a Genz Benz 2-12, depending on the venue.

I would definitely recommend it to anybody.
  10. Cool, I was also thinking of maybe getting a Sansamp in there as well...

What cab would you guys suggest for it? I was thinking the Peavey 410TVX or whatever..
  11. I have the 410 TVX & 115 BVX(4 OHMS)ea. and I have also used the Firebass with my GK 210RBH cab (8 OHMS)and it sounds as good as my GK head IMHO. My only "partial" complaint with Peavey: this gear is HEAVY, but I'm satisfied. And customer service is superb, I've had nothing but good experiences with them.:bassist:
  12. I have played Peavey for 20 years and have never had a problem or bad tone. I played the Firebass for 2 years before switching to the Max preamp. I also have the TVX cab and it is great. It is heavey. I agree with the comments above that Peavey does not color the sound of your bass. Peavey just brings my sound to life. The only reason I switch was for more power and head room. I also use a BBE preamp. Both are very reliable.:)
  13. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I've had my Firebass II for about 2 years and I'm very satisfied with it. The cabinet I finnaly teamed it up with was a Peavey TVX 412. It's a bit heavy but it kills (the sound and my back)
  14. Happy, Happy Christmas Money I wasn't expecting came in, so I'm back in the race for the Firebass.

I'm having a hard tiem finding a cab in my budget that can cope and still sound decent..And suggestions?
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    There is a kid here that plays at the school that I volunteer at that plays one thru a 4x10 SWR cabinet,and it sounds pretty good.
  16. Well, I'm just won the auction, yeah :)

I think I'm gonna get the Peavey 410TVX:
    Frequency Response: 30Hz-15Khz (Impressive, huh?)
  17. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I own the Nitrobass and have always liked Peavey's transparency. When I play the Spector, it sounds like the Spector. Each of my basses' voices come through cleanly.