Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Firebass with 410TVX - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Hi guys & gals,

It's been a while but, I'd appreciate your input here. I'm looking for a new and CHEAP rig to go with my 5-string.

I've been thinking about the Peavey Firebass head (275W RMS @ 8 ohms) with the Peavey 410TVX (8 ohms, 350W RMS continuous).

Any comments or ideas? The rig should be cheap and loud enough for rock in small/medium sized clubs.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Howdy Do Mara.

The peavey stuff is just fine if it's some of the newer gear, it's pretty rightous gear. The older stuff isn't quite as hip, but the newer stuff they've been making is a huge step up.
    Nothing wrong at all with the TVXs. Good gear. I believe I've played a few TVXs, and thought they sounded great. I've noticed more than anything the Peavey gear is pretty transparent. There's not a whole lot of coloration of the sound. That's just me experience in a music store, though.

Are you going to drop that EBS 2x10 on top of the TVX or what?? Because I would suggest either a higher powered head, or a 4 ohm TVX, if not. 275w is respectable, but not all that loud if you're in a rock situation. Of course, I equate rock with about AC/DC, you might be doing something a little more relaxed. But, that EBS 2x10 would really beef it up (6 10s is a gonna be LOUD!). But if the Peavey is a stand alone rig you might get a bit stifled by the rest of your rock band

Not to say it wouldn't work, by no means is that the case, but you'd be cranked up to 11 trying to get heard with any sort of clarity with only the Peavey stack. But it's a non issue if you droped that EBS cab in the stack with it.

But, (after that long winded post) yes, yes that rig would work just peachy. And if you get the 8 ohm cab, you can use that EBS in conjunction, and pull more juice outta that Firebass head, for even MORE bass! :D

BTW, what 5er?

3. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Thanks for the input Brendan. I 've heard many people saying the same about the colouration / TVX410, but I'm not so sure what is ment by it. Lack of fullness, bottom end?

How about the SWR Workingman's series? They're allmost as cheap as the Peavey over here, but are they any better? I could also get a new SUNN 410H for the same price as the 410TVX - any good?

Too many to choose from...

I'm not sure if I will keep my EBS, maybe I will. My Esh Various V I will keep - for sure!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd keep the EBS...it's much better than Peavey, and in combination with the TVX, you'd have plenty of volume!

No, the lack of coloration simply means the amplification is fairly transparent. It's not like it "sounds like a peavey" your bass tends to matter more in the overall sound and tone than the amp. Plenty good rigs, believe you me.

I don't have much experience with the Workinman's amps, though they are nice, I can't make a qualified judgement on them.

the Sunn's aren't bad, but I'd stick with either Peavey or SWR over the Sunn units.