1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fired by the singer

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tommygun_ted, Oct 26, 2018.

1. So if you have seen some of my other posts about the band I was in, you know I've been butting heads with the singer. Following what was described as our best sounding gig to date, I found an ad posted by her looking for a new bass player. I was planning on quitting anyways, but she beat me to it. We were playing a pub that caters to musicians and bands, they had two people running sound for us. We had a full drum kit, guitarist using a 50 watt tube amp, and for the sake of space, knowing we had sound, I brought my 40 watt ampeg ba110. AFTER we had a sound check and had everything set up, the singer asks me to either turn down my amp, or not pick so hard. My volume was already sitting between 0 and 1, any lower and I would be off, and I pick differently depending on the sound I want for each song, only using a pick on one song that is a bit harder, to cut through better. Finally having enough, and knowing I wasn't going to see a pay check for this show, I bluntly told her no. The levels are already set, we don't have time to adjust and if I go any lower I will be off. The following Monday I see an ad looking for a bassist and call her out on it, and she responds by telling me I'm not a good fit musically (after a year and a half of gigging with them) the drummer and other guitarist were completely oblivious and we've set up a meeting this weekend to discuss the issue. Neither one of them is impressed. Looks like you guys hit the nail on the head with her, should have cut and run months ago! Already have 3 auditions lined up for new bands so no sweat off my back. She may lose her whole band because of it though!

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Tommygun_ted :)

Maybe she will be fired by the drummer! :laugh:

Take it easy! :D You will feel better without her!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

edit to add: Be lucky you didn' t buy her the IEMs! ;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    craigie, Spidey2112, Mili and 4 others like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ah yes, I remember your other thread, about your frustration with this bandleader, because she has a soft voice and likes the bass quiet in the mix. Sounds like you were not willing or able to accommodate her artistic vision by controlling your volume as requested. She was right to let you go for your insubordination at the gig, but it sounds like her decision will benefit you in the long run. If I recall correctly, she was keeping all the gig money and making you play for free, because "band expenses"? Good for you for getting out of that unhappy situation! I hope you find a new band where you can turn up loud and rock out. :)

theinfamous, petrus61, Larchi and 2 others like this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Our singer fired the drummer and it was the drummers band.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    So

FugaziBomb likes this.
  6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO57OHAccb68dTiaK5CsIte8inrQo6qeBDM8L6dzjKqwPC-W4p.

7. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I've experienced the turn down demand from a singer (it's always a singer) when my volume couldn't go lower thing a few times. My response is to accommodate the request and turn my stage volume off. Invariably I'm told to turn down more and a teachable moment ensues.

Getting into an argument during a set is never acceptable. Being calm and professional always is.

mrcbass, Mike N, Picton and 13 others like this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Or, the band could just hire a new singer...

For the "turn down" thing, a simple solution might be to point her to the amp and invite her to set it at the level she thinks is best...

GregC, rufus.K, petrus61 and 11 others like this.
  9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    In situations like this, I just say, “Oh, OK” and do what I want. (Passive aggressive ;)). The BL thinks that I’ve complied, and everybody’s happy. :whistle:

Good luck with the auditions. I hope you land a more rewarding gig.

Bobro, Aqualung60, Sixgunn and 4 others like this.
  10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    My friend, it sounds like it is much better for you not to deal with this BS anyway. Play with people who embrace your musicianship.

11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    This is like deja vu....
    I can't begin to tell you how much better my life was after being fired. (and the rest of the band quitting when they found out.

Congratulations on your successful escape.

safikex, Wisebass and SactoBass like this.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

This is excellent news! Congrats! Now you are free from her control freakness and are now available to pursue many other avenues that will bring you higher levels of happiness! :thumbsup: saWEET!!!

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Bada bing! :thumbsup:

14. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    We all need a Lee Sklar "producer's knob" for ts very reason.

CGremlin, mrcbass, Nashrakh and 13 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Wait…you were still with her after that last thread? :bored:

You definitely have patience and way more tolerance for band drama than I was ever able to muster. :laugh:

16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

I doubt they were oblivious.

They just didn't want to be involved.

oldrocker likes this.
  17. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    She might want to try hiring a cello instead.

Lance Bunyon, Sixgunn and MCF like this.
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Ida just turned my stage volume off completely.

rohi and rocmonster like this.
  19. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Did you try telling her to sing louder?

20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Never saw your other posts...
    Every rose has it's thorn.
    Bl's can be vehwy thinthitive.