1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fired

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sqlb3rn, Aug 18, 2019.

1. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    I woke up this morning to an unexpected text message firing me from the band I joined a couple months ago. Last week they wanted to write some new music, and asked me to show them some of my riffs/ideas. I showed them some ideas, and after practice I sent them tablature and recordings. I have already learned their songs... and THEY solicited ME to show them some of my stuff.

Well, they didn't like my ideas so they apparently had a text-meeting behind my back and fired me out of the blue. It's not like I was insisting they use my ideas, I specifically said "we don't have to use any of this stuff" when I showed them, and "feel free to change it up". But the reason BL said for firing me was (paraphrasing) "we don't like your ideas and aren't going to use them, so it's best if you start your own thing".

Wow... okay. I wasn't expecting to write the music anyway, just basslines to stuff they write. We could have easily played something else, instead of me trying to teach the BL guitarist my ideas. I just got a b7k ultra this week I was looking forward to using next band rehearsal.

I practice at home frequently and can record band demos, invest in gear, and build websites. But none of that has any value to them, so back to annoying the wife with my living room solo jams. This is fine though, lots of red flags along the way with this band, and I wouldn't waste my time trying to re-join.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    Sad to read that.

It seems that there's something behind and that "We don't like your ideas" was just a lame excuse...

Keep playing and move on.

Evil Funk, Ronzo, Pendulous and 19 others like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You can take their reasons with a grain of salt. Last time I was fired from a band was because I was told their old bassist had cancer, and they wanted him to play some gigs while he was still healthy.

4. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Geez, they couldn’t even hit “call” rather than “text?” I mean this wasn’t an audition; you were part of the band! I’m sure you’ll be better off but that crap still stings.

nnnnnn, jamro217, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  5. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Ouch.

But see it as a blessing, if you can. Red flags more often lead to months of protracted, slowly escalating frustration.

A fast break is better than a slow break.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    A creative bassist who provides tabs, recordings, is easy to work with, and plays outside of my own bubble.

In other words, and ideal candidate for original collaborations.

No, we can't have that. Text STOP to no longer receive these messages. :meh:

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s not you. Somebody showed up they wanted more. You were gone before they figured out what story to hand you.

You dodged a bullet. Good riddance.

Onward! :thumbsup:

Evil Funk, Ronzo, Kevin Teed and 15 others like this.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Send them a Thank You card.

9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    You weren’t fired. You were saved.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I like it! Shows class. :laugh::thumbsup:

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    What if, maybe... they liked your ideas more than they liked you? They do have your tabs and recordings.
    You out of the way gives them a shot at picking their favorite bits of yours for themselves, and just showing the new bass player all their cool tunes...

1bassleft, fleabitten, Ronzo and 9 others like this.
  12. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    Agreed. They did the OP a favor.

jamro217 and MynameisMe like this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Be glad you didn't waste too much time with these guys.

14. At least they told you that you were fired. My friend got fired from his day job two weeks ago. First, they changed his job location. Then, the new boss said he couldn't work outside anymore because it was too hot and his face was red. That's what happens when you work outside for 6 hours with no break in 110 degree heat. So the new boss sent him home after telling him he would find another location for him to work at. The call never came. It's pretty much the same everywhere. They owe him two weeks vacation pay.

Your former band mates don't sound like the kind of people you want to spend time with anyway. You sound like someone with multi abilities. Eventually, you'll find people who recognize that, appreciate it and who are on your level. PS: You might have intimidated your former band mates with your musical knowledge and skills.

jamro217, DJ Bebop and sqlb3rn like this.
  15. Biffa

Biffa SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    Get over it and move on, lucky escape

jamro217 and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Biffa

Biffa SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    ...in fact make something out of all this;
    Woke up this morning,
    Da da da da
    To an unexpected text,
    Da da da da
    Firing me from the band
    Da da da da
    Whatever next
    Etc

17. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Once they worked up the “courage” to text that they didn’t like your ideas, they also realized that it was easier to fire you because they don’t have the maturity to continue to work with you.

18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Via text?
    Bozos.
    Sorry to hear/read.
    Stiff upper lip, get som'.
    Good luck

jamro217, Nevada Pete and sqlb3rn like this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I would just continue to work on your own material and forget those chumps.

Ronzo, jamro217, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  20. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Exactly!!! :thumbsup:

@sqlb3rn: them firing you is wonderful! Be thankful that you dodged a bullet. :thumbsup:

TH63, Ronzo, Goatrope and 4 others like this.