1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Firefox vs. Safari (Mac)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jamiebass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. So, I see a lot of love for Firefox here. I downloaded it, and went back to Safari. I don't think I spent enough time to give it a chance.

In Safari world, I don't get any pop ups, no viruses, and I have all the features I need.

How does it compare to Firefox? What am I missing out on thats so much better than Safari? :/

2. I'm with you--I use Safari (but have to use Firefox at work). The pop-up blocker is worth it especially. I think a lot of people use Firefox because it has a bunch of handy plug-ins.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have firefox for ripping embedded videos from sites other than that I still use Safari 99.9 percent of the time. And the Beta version of the newest Safari is nice. :)

4. I gotta try the new version...

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I use Firefox on my Mac. I used it before on my PC (in Windows and Linux) so since it is available for Mac as well it seemed like the logical thing to do. Camino is similar to Firefox (based on same Mozilla foundation) and is more inherently OS X native.

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Firefox is a bit more friendly with different page features that Safari can't use. Other than that I really like Safari.

7. i find safari can be a little like ie in that sometimes things just dont work. Use firefox and its fine. But this is also vice versa.

eg. firewall web interface with safari was the last instance.

All in all ie stinks.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've only used Safari a handful of times at work and I haven't had any problems with it. I didn't surf much, but it was like any other browser for me.

I usually use Firefox. I don't think I'd notice a difference with either. =/

Firefox has a popup blocker too. At least for Windows.

9. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Safari seems to fit better into the Mac environment - hardly surprising, so I use it 99% of the time.

Firefox has a nice "verifier" plugin I use to check that the pages I write are correct. Opera has a few features i like too, but nither warrents a full shift.

On PC I'd probably use Firefox, but i haven't tested Windows Safari.

ian

10. Windows Safari???

Whoa.

11. Safari's a nice browser. But I've got too used to so many of Firefox's features now (tabs I can re-position, scrolling across tabs with the mouse wheel, the Web Developer toolbar and all the other extensions, and so many other little things) that I don't think I could go back to Safari. I know SAFT and other Safari plugins can do some of this, but SAFT costs money. :(

12. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Went into open beta in mid June...

Free download from Apple.

Ian

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I bounce back and forth between them. Some sites don't work with Safari for me, like photobucket. On the other hand, Firefox shreds Tony Levin's webpage and shifts the images out of place.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Safari. I tried to Firefox for a while, I'm back to Safari and never looking back again.