Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Just tried my first set of the Firewire bass strings from Canada.I am using them on my Musicman which has had most types of string, more recently Stainless steel DR'S and the usual Ernie Ball, D'addario, Elixir, Rotosound, Fender etc etc.

I am quite impressed so far very nice sounding, bright and clear sounding yet still warm.They sound better than Stainless and brighter than Nickel, they are Nickel Alloy and the guage im using on my Stingray is 45, 65,80, 100.

They are supposed to have a better life expectancy so time will tell, but from new they sound very nice.

Anybody else had any experience with Firewire Strings

2. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    I tried the same guage firewires on my Warwick Corvette LTD, they feel nice and smooth under the fingers and i agree with you about the tone, somewhere between nickel and stainless steel. I found they went dead in about the same time as a set of DR SS Hi-Beams, i was hoping for a bit more life. I don't think I'll buy any again, i'm going to stick with Lo-Riders from now on.
  3. How long did your Firewire strings last ?? they claim a longer life than most Nickel strings, i was using Stainless Steel on my Musicman but they sound a bit harsh at times and fret wear was noticable.These Firewire strings seem very nice so time will tell
  4. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    I can't quite remember, no more than 3 weeks though. I prefer the brightness of steel, and as you don't really like the brightness Firewires are probably more to your taste.
  5. Sounds like you get the same amount of life from strings as me, i play about twice a week and gig maybe every two weeks approx. Ive tried Elixir and they lasted about 6 weeks so too expensive for them, the usual Nickel strings give me about a month of decent tone before going dull.Tried Stainless to see if that would last better it didnt.
    I will see how i go with Firewire strings

6. Well the Firewire bass string have been on for 2 1/2 months and ive good results and only just lost their zing.

Removed them and soaked them in IPA and they are like new again, superb bass string from Canada.

I will try them for another 2 months and then fit a new set, not bad 4.5 months from one set costing £25.00 approx, move over Elixir, these are the dogs !! and they arnt coated etc just good old Nickels