Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

firewire

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrcrowUK, Feb 7, 2003.

1. just saw firewire made in canada strings on my shop site.
    they are about the same price as elixir and claim to be +++
    any users out there
    they are probably been around a while but i have just come across them
    this is a uk dealer btw
    hopefully get some feedback
    ??:D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That site is a bit expensive - £30 + for a 5-string set of Thomastiks- I get them cheaper from US sites, even including the postage and packing!! :)

3. this is the problem with the uk and perhaps europe as well
    the gear you get in the us is about on par 2X more here
    for instance apart from strings which you saw
    and those are really discounted quite a bit
    a sansamp bd is £189-199 shipped in the uk
    and of course other items are proportionately similar
    so
    do you know about the firewires
    whatever the situation them prices is what we have to pay..:)
    cheers for the answer

4. Bruce Lindfield

No we don't - I get things like strings, tuners, books music, sent from US internet sites like :

www.sheetmusicplus

Their "Musicians Store" is great!

And as I say - even allowing for P&P it is much cheaper than any UK retailers!! :)

Maybe takes a bit longer 10-14 days, getting to England from the US, but it's definitely worth it!!

5. I would like to hear something about those strings too! - And thanks for the link to Stringbuster! That might end up being cheaper for me since it's EU-based. Don't have to pay tax as with US-sites.

(Thomastik's, Bruce? Don't you play Slowounds anymore? Why not, if I may ask?)

6. i apologise bruce i did not really look too closely at your post and note that you are in the uk.sorry
    i tried the linkthis
    and will keep for future reference
    cheers:cool:
    some results
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Standard .045-.105 (RS66LDN) List price $33.00
    Your price $19.89
    You Save 40%
    Lead time
    before shipment:
    3 to 5 business days
    or
    RS66LDN Standard - Long
    45 65 85 105 1 Set - £11.99 each 2 Sets - £11.68 each 3+ Sets - £11.39 each
    £=$1.59 at post office
    so us price is = £12.50
    not too much on this particular choice since it is uk made?
    but i will keep looking
    cheers

7. Bruce Lindfield

I have got strings from US sites for the last 5 or so years and have never been charged Tax or anything other than what is stated by the retailer - so I get strings and stuff from

www.sheetmusic.com

and pay about half what I would from a UK or EC retailer!!

(Thomastik's, Bruce? Don't you play Slowounds anymore? Why not, if I may ask?)

I do still use Slowounds - but that UK site that was mentioned - String Busters - doesn't stock the 5-string sets I get from the US, so there was no point of comparision. I have bought Thomastiks before as an experiment, (lighter B) so I know that I got them much more cheaply from the US, than the advertised price on String Busters!!!

8. For strings I have to pay around 4-5 £ in taxes and costum handling, when it's outside the EU. But still the price for DR's or other US-made strings are better on Sheetmusicplus. Only the TI's seems a better bargain on Stringbuster. Bruce, how did you like the TI's compared to the Slowounds?

Sorry for "lending" your thread a bit, mrcrowUK

9. Bruce Lindfield

I liked the thinner B string - 130 seems too big to me on the Slowounds - but overall the tone of the Thomastiks wasn't as good - they did sound thinner and scratchier. So I could play faster on the Thomastiks and get a lower action - but in the end, the Slowounds tone is simply the best I've ever heard - fuller and growlier - Zons were close, but I don't think I'll try any more experiments and will stick with Slowounds now!

10. go right ahead this is more of a learning exercise for me than an input of new information
    and i am checking out the us site as well for specific strings
    and btw
    slowounds?? they were on my fender s/h when i got it and played out...so i never renewed them TI being my fav
    what are they like etc...
    and may i add the elixir to that please
    cheers to all
    :cool:
    just been checking shipping and lead times+shipping times...need to be patient but i can see the savings...and no tax as stated by bruce..