Firewood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Sep 22, 2015.

1. I got my firewood for this coming winter. I always pull out any interesting pieces - take a look at what I found today. I so wish I got the whole log, but I'll figure (pun intended) out a way to use it somewhere (it's maple).

2015-09-22%2016.34.49_zpswflx0osd.jpg

2. gsnad2000

gsnad2000 Commercial User

Aug 6, 2011
    Boston
    Owner of Wrong Way Customs
    What no flame pun?

Jisch likes this.
  3. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

Thank you folks! I'm here all week, try the veal...

Laki, wmhill, SirMjac28 and 1 other person like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and suggest you just toss it in the fire.

:thumbsup:

Stefan Verbeeck and spaz21387 like this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not sure that wood be prudent.

6. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Almost heart breaking.. :(

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I went back to school a while back (in my 40s). One of the classrooms had an electronics lab with long workbenches. This tops were made of long randomly cut 2" wide strips of maple. Some were plain. Some were the prettiest curly and flamed maple you ever saw. And we were tearing them up moving equipment around them and soldering and whatnot.
    None of my young fellow students believed me when I told them a 1/8" layer of that stuff on a guitar would set you back a few hundred bucks.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Curly maple isn't that expensive, especially not a 1/8" veneer.

9. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    My fiance gave me an old wooden chest that was weathered pretty bad that she was going to throw out. It was from her grandparents era, I looked at it closer and sure enough the entire thing is made from strips of birds eye maple strips about 4" wide 5/8" thick 48" long. I've since dismantled it and have a nice stock of birds eye maple for necks and a few body cores.

10. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Nice find.

scottyd likes this.
  11. i had to cut down a 45 foot norway maple about 5 years ago. I still have the wood. is it possible to use it for instrument building?

12. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    A lot of firewood is not cut from the trunk and a lot of wood not from the trunk has flame/tension wood. I saw it enough in firewood piles when I lived up north more. Fine to use for stuff like peghead veneers but probably not very stable.

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Always worth a look. The guy I used to get my firewood from gave me several blocks of cherry, about 15" square that he did not know what to do with. I turned a salad bowl set from them, and gave him a couple. He almost split them down.

14. so what would be my next step? getting them planed down into blocks?

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just going by Carvin's Web site. Regular price is $400 for a curly maple top, but right now it's "on sale" for $200. I'm sure I if you're a luthier it doesn't cost that much. But to us mortals who don't know how to build guitars it will set you back a few hundred to get a figured maple top.

Can't speak to other brands.

Edit to add: Full disclosure. Just confirmed it's only $75 on a Warmoth body.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think your next step is to check the moisture and see if it needs to be dried any more. If so, coat the ends with paint or wax. That will lessen the chance of checking from uneven drying.

17. Thank you...i have just been burning a bunch of it but there is still plenty left.

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I am pretty sure that Carvin uses at least a 3/8" thick top plate, not an 1/8" veneer. Either way, the extra cost is mostly from the labor associated with book matching a top and a more labor intensive body blank. The actual cost of the wood is marginal.

19. I'm going to keep this in the shed until next summer, then I'll try working it. I don't know what I'll get out of it. The one log of this figured maple would probably have been worth more than the 5 cords of wood I bought. The figuring is as tight and consistent as anything I've seen.

20. how can you tell the figure on a rough log like that? Middle one appears to have some unreal flaming happening on there. wow

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021