Firewood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What are the dimensions of the center log? After cutting and milling, I doubt it would be wide enough for any kind of instrument usage. I would probably just use it for fire wood.

2. Yes, I mean flame - you can see that the log split along the flame, someone else said it looked like that was the splitter chatter, it's not, it's flame. It will be awesome, just have to resist the urge to work it until it's dry.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Generally wiping with a little mineral spirits will help show the figure.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    MY Strat with a flame maple top was only extra $50 over a plain one. Getting it as a lefty was an extra $50 too though.

You'd think there would be more left handed wood available. :laugh:

5. alright im gonna look into this a little when i get home. im sitting on a bunch of just logs that are basically 10-16 inches diameter...probably cut into 18" sections

6. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Naples, FL
    If all else fails, throw them on.
    de431cfb5a806e48b364c5b51ddabec5_zps8a7217a4.gif

tjclem likes this.
  7. pholli00

pholli00

Nov 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Got any high fashion logs?

scottyd likes this.
  8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Hey that drummer looks like Liberace in disguise.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yep, the correct hair style and some FABULOUS clothes, and he could pass as an impersonator.

RED J likes this.
  10. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    It's log, it's log,
    It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
    It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good.

Everyone wants a log
    You're gonna love it, log
    Come on and get your log
    Everyone needs a log
    log log log

11. I think I could get a board that was 18x4x1 out of the log - you're right, not enough for a full front or anything (there are other things I can make besides basses :)). I have used smaller pieces for inlays before. This bass I made using some spalted maple I found out in the woods while riding my mountain bike:
    bass%20of%20case_zpsgxkusphv.jpg

12. It's hard to describe, but the figuring is obvious if you look at it. A friend of mine suggested this is just chatter from the splitter, it's definitely not that! The stripes are so consistent and dense. I'll make something out of it.

13. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Friend gave me this chunk of Oak. It's been sitting in my basement for years. One of these day's I'll carve a body out of it.
    My friend was going to use it as firewood.

51POAK.jpg

14. I have a lot of oak I could use for basses! about 90% of what I get is oak, some maple and today I even saw some ash.

15. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Yeah it's really not all that expensive....it's a real shame how much some of these online "tone wood" sellers are charging folks who either don't have local hardwood sellers available....and/or don't have the equipment to re-saw boards & do their own book matching.
    I was recently at the lumberyard sorting through a bunch of walnut to have it delivered to my shop for an upcoming project:
    WP_20150824_17_03_31_Pro.jpg
    & while I was there a few maple boards that had been set aside caught my eye.
    It was kind of a "right place at the right time" sort of thing because I've seen lumberyards selling supposed "curly maple" and it was no where near this good.
    The two on the left (used to be one 12 footer but I had them cut it in half so I could fit it in my car) ... It's 6/4 (that's approx 1 ½" thick to you "mortals"...your word;) ) and about 7" wide ...so that's 10.5 board feet.

WP_20150827_05_47_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150827_05_44_51_Pro.jpg
    Point being... It was only $6 per board foot ....right around $60 bucks... Now, I think they might have given me a break & priced it like regular maple because we are good customers. But even so, it's pretty cheap. & I can get quite a few tops from this one board:)

Deep Cat likes this.
  16. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    That will make some very pretty tops. Nice find!

17. I gotta spend more time down at the wood place. I tend to buy everything off Ebay (non-luthier listings) I feel like I get pretty good deals, but sometimes what ends up on my doorstep is different than what I expect.

18. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah...good plan.... Shoot the breeze with the guys out in the yard...make friends with them. They see almost all of the wood that comes through, & they will often set aside particularly figured planks. They are also usually the ones who calculate board-foot amounts & can give you a deal if you make their life easier;)

19. Last time I was down there I was talking to them about the cutoff pile - they told me the luthiers who come in are like vultures and if there is anything good it's gone fast.

20. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    wp_ss_20150925_0002.png

Jon Clegg and Jisch like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021