Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fireworks at practice tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My Carvin FET 900 went out in a blaze of glory this evening. BIG puff of smoke and then all was quiet. Not going to worry about getting it repaired- just going to move on to something else. This really sucks because I have a gig tomorrow. Going to have to use my altered Behringer combo as a monitor and run to the PA with my Sansamp. We practiced with the bass run through the monitors (1 mix,) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You're sure you don't want to get it fixed? Carvin makes some great power amps. Last I heard they still had a "fixed price" repair policy, last time I brought my FET-1000 in for service they said it'd be X price to fix it, no matter what was wrong with it. On the other hand, I just got the latest Carvin catalog and they're having a sale on power amps, you can get a brand new DCM-2000 for 429 bucks or something like that. 2 kilowatts of clean kickin' power, that's a great price.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Oh yeah, and if you decide not to fix it, you might think about selling it on eBay. Broken Carvin power amps fetch a pretty penny up there sometimes.

4. lets just say that when I sell my Carvin R1000 I'm never going carvin again. But I've run my bass through the vocal PA a few times in toss together practices, ours sucks, really can't hear the bass at all.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I'm not sure they'll still repair the FET series amps.
    But if not, they'll probably give you a good deal on a trade-up to a DCM series.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I had the R600, sent it back several times under warranty, then it finally quit for good. Took the upgrade Option to the R1000 and had the same experience. The first one was returned in the first week, and had subsequent returns for repairs on the replacment. Then I think one side quit or something and I sent it back and replaced it with a DCM 2000 for the discounted price of 389?? They will take care of things, but it is the time, shipping and all the hassle that blows. I haven,t had any problems with the DCM. I have had it about 8 months. Knock on wood!! It weights a ton, but seems to be pretty solid compared to their Bass Amps in my experience.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I will call Carvin tomorrow to see what's up.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Let us know how that works out...

Personally, I'd walk away from Carvin. There's too many low-priced power amps of better quality to be hung-up over them.

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought it used for about 200.00. Depending on what it costs to repair it, I may chunk it. I won't put more than what I laid out for it back into it.

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got an email back from Carvin. They no longer stock parts for the FET series. They do offer a trade in. They said I could send my amp in and get a DCM 1000 for 229.00 plus 22.00 shipping. On their website the DCM1000 sells for 359.00 plus shipping. I may go that route. 250.00 for new amp with that kind of wattage is a pretty good deal.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    They will give you a DCM 2000 for a similar deal. I would suggest if you go the uprgrade route, go for the 2000. But hey, that is just me. Carvin, I think, over rates their power amps. But then again if you dont' need the headroom? It is heavier etc. I play in a Loud rock cover band and need all the juice I can get :eek: and don't forget you will need some sort of preamp with it.