First 5-String? What should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodan, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Ok, I'm finally making the jump. Can't believe I've been playing for so long and never gone 5. But because it's my first 5, I want to keep it relatively inexpensive until I feel comfortable enough to go to a more refined instrument.

Opinions: MTD Kingston or Lakland 55-01? Out of these two, which would you go for? I realize they're not the same price, but all things considered which would you consider a better buy?

Or, my other option is, spend a little extra, which I really shouldn't do, but might be willing to do. If I decide to spend a few hunder more, which would you consider a better buy? Lakland 55-02 or Musicman Stingray 5?

I realize purchasing a new instrument is usually based on really personal opinions, but any input would be appreciated. I play mostly more complex, mathy kinda rock, and every once in a while delve into fusion,a tiny bit of jazz and dub (love those lows).
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i personally love my stingray 5 but if it's your primary bass go with the lakland. of course i also think it would be a much better idea to get a mtd heir and through a kick ass pre amp in it. you really cant go wrong with any of those choices.
  3. I guess if I did decide to upgrade to the 55-02/MM SR5 range, I should also put the MTD Grendel in the running - it's a similar price range to those two other ones, right?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the Grendel is around that price range. But they are discontinued. You will have to look around to find one.
  5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Stingray 5 is very nice
  6. Mmmmmm. The Stingray 5. They are brilliant basses. I mean, you arent gonna get much better than one IMO even for loads more cash. I'd go with it, cos u can be sure it'll be a great bass.

7. Wait a minute, isn't it the Beast, not the Grendel, that's discontinued? I'm confused, help me out someone! :)
  8. embellisher

They are both discontinued. After the current stock runs out, there will be no more Czech MTDs.
  9. I got my first 5 thursday past. I've been playing for 16 years... I got a Stingray 5 :D... I'd say it's a tossup between the 55-02 and the Ray though. I've heard the Skylines are really nice and well put together but the SR5's are pretty amazing. More tonal options on the Lakland. Depends on your sound and feel preferences.
  10. Does anyone know the reason why? Didn't they sell well enough, or are they supposed to be produced in Korea in the future? What's happening?
  11. embellisher

I have heard that there will eventually be a Korean replacement. Perhaps Gard or Adrian Garcia may know more than I do.
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man This is so biased... so i wont tell you that the Stingray 5 is the only bass you should think about.. There are so many good basses out there (stingray 5) that it just wouldn't be right for me to tell you what bass to get (stingray 5). ;)

honestly though, you may not like the feel of the Ray 5. I personally love the unfinished fat neck.. This bad boy does have a large neck and if you like then necks you may want to consider something else.. I haven't played the skylines yet so i don't know much about them except what i read. but if you dont want to spend over 1K. then i say the MTD kingston or hier would be great for you.

Just my 2 cents
  13. Anybody got Lakland Syline 55-02 vs. MM Stingray 5 thoughts? I know what the stingray is like, but have yet to see a Lakland anywhere around here.
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Somebody call me??? :D

Rodan, I've played all the basses you're talking about. The tough thing is they're ALL great basses! :eek:

Under a grand, the Lakland if you want an active preamp, if that doesn't matter, go for the K5.

Over a grand you get more options. I'm pretty partial to the 55-02 right now, there are more options with it than the other two contenders, tone-wise. Quality wise, it's pretty much impossible to beat the SR5 at any price. Oh, and I just happen to know where two of the sadly discontinued Grendel basses reside ;) (check the sig), which would be an excellent choice if you're looking for a J-bass on steroids with a good B vibe.

If you have any questions, PM me or call me (the number is on the website).
  15. PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    I have had quite a few 5 strings, The Laklands are excellent basses, also I have heard nothing but great things about their new Skyline series, there are a bunch of guys at another site I go to who just love theirs for the price. Also check out for a great variety of used stuff mainly being sold by musicians. Hope this helps. Also, The Laklands I believe still do the "Zero" fret thing!
  16. PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    Sorry I almost forgot which I think has to be one of the most versatile 5 string basses on the market today, a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, if you can get ahold of one of these, I truly believe you'll love it, all those toggles and selector swich, the thing sounds active but its not, simply amazing bass, dont understand why they're not more popular!!
  17. Ok, I'm going to throw in my plug for Carvin. You can get an LB75 at a very nice price and they are top notch basses. It would make a great first
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd throw in my hat for the MTD great stuff, those basses.
  19. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've had a Lakland skyline 55-01 for about 3 weeks now, and I have to remind myself to play the other basses I own or they will get lonely... The skyline is amazing! I would definately vote for that... BTW, I have been looking for another 5er, and If I decide not to build a warmoth project bass, it will likely be a second skyline....

20. If you are looking for an inexpensive, quality 5 string, take a look at Yamaha. I can tell you from being an owner, the BBG5A is an excellent 5 string bass. It's got jazz style pickups, 2 volume, master tone. Mine has gold hardware, alder body, quilted maple top, transparent blue finish, with matching quilted blue headstock. The B string is not floopy at all. 24 fret 35" scale. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. I got it on sale for $299 at musiciansfriend. I'll tell ya, I was a little nervous about buying a bass I had never played, but after I plugged it in for the first time, I knew I had made a very nice choice.

For a first fiver, Yamaha all the way.