Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FooBass, Sep 16, 2004.

1. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    what do you think is the best 5 string you can buy in a price range from 500-600$?

2. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I will have to chime in for the Ibanez BTB405. They offer a lot of bang for the dollar. The only nagative that I can thing of (and I own one) is that the pups are not standard size, so that if you wish to upgrade the pups, the bass will require some routing in order to accept the new pups. Take a look at the gear reviews; the BTB has been reviewed by about half a dozen TBers with generally positive reviews. ;)

3. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    for some one who plays rock music like the red hot chili peppers, led zeppelin, soundgarden, pearl jam, the beatles, alice in chains etc. etc. etc.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm biased towards the playability of MTDs, (talking bout the Korean ones that would be in this price range), I played a Kingston and then played a Stingray (both 4 string, I'm usually a 5 string player though), the MTD was a lot more comfortable (in my opinion)

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    Dean Edge 5. i had one awhile ago and it was a great beginning 5.

6. I'd still say BTB405. Get em used in the $400 range and their awesome basses.

7. a lucky score on a Stringray...really lucky.

8. I'm quite happy with a BTB405 as my first 5-er (bought last summer). The other two that were close for me was a Fender MIM Jazz V and an MTD Heir 5. I liked the MTD except for the pickguard and lack of fingerboard markers. The new active ones look much better. I really find fingerboard markers USEFUL (sounds like another thread topic sometime...)

The G&L Tributes came out just after I bought my BTB. I'd checkout a Tribute L2500 too.

9. Look into a ESP-F255 well made bass good sound for the money. :bassist:

10. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I like my Fender Jazz V a lot.
    It is more expensive than your price range because it is MIA, but you can have a MIM in your budget.

At first I didn't like the B string which was flimsy, and it took me a while to find the right setup. Now, it plays great, I love it.

11. I say you check out the Schecter Elite-5. Loaded with things you normally wouldn't find on a 5 string in that price range, such as gold hardware, s-tek bridge, neck-thru, 5 piece neck, incredible quilted maple tops, and EMG-HZ active pups. I have also had great experience with Schecter's customer service when I needed a new tuning head.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    G&L Tribute 2500. The premium models come with ash body and choice of rosewood or maple fretboard. It can be strung through the body. The pickups are the same as the domestic G&L. Very versitle tonally. Even comes with a pretty good gig bag. All under $600.

13. Used Lakland Skyline 55-01.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector Professional series is another option.

15. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
  16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go for the vintage noisless.

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've considered the Mex Fender Jazz Deluxe in the past (btw, I'd also go with the vintage-noiseless). But pound for pound, I'm telling ya, the G&L Tribute has got the MIM J bass beat. Check out both specs at Musician's Friend and also check out reviews.

r

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Tribute L-2500 by G&L. Sick value for about $580. Buy one now!