Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sailor, Jun 10, 2001.

1. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    I play with the orchestra in my local church and with a small acoustic group. My current bass is an Ibanez SR 500 and I am thinking of getting a Five String. My current budget will allow $500-$1000. Any suggestions in this price range for a first 5 string? I love the small neck of my Ibanez. My past basses have included a few not worth mentioning and an old 70's Ric. (I wish I still had that one). My bass playing does not require a lot of heavy handed work and a nice full tone is more of what I am looking for. Thanks for any help.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey sailor, and welcome to TB!!

There are several good choices in the price range you are looking. My first choice would be the MTD Kingston 5, which is a passive one humbucker bass (i.e. similar to a Stingray/Sterling). It has a very comfortable and fast neck, and sounds very punchy and full. They list for close to $700, but I know where you can get one (sans case or gig bag) for about $470 ;) (the regulars know I work part-time at Bass Central, and we're an MTD dealer). It's a pretty basic bass, but the neck and body are very well made, and with a minimum of investment (active electronics, new pickup, possibly a more sturdy bridge...say another $200-250) you'd have what I consider to be a Stingray killer, for well under what you'd pay for a Stingray! This bass easily has the best sounding B I've heard under a grand (and better than a lot of 'em I've heard at well OVER a grand).

A few other good choices would be the MTD Grendel (which is more of a Fender J kind of vibe, with actives already), a Fender MIM J V (I had one, it's ok, but IMO there are better out there), DeArmond 5 (modern version of the Guild Pilot), Cort/Curbow 5, Dean Edge 5, and Yamaha BBN5.

All are passable, but my vote (obviously I'm sure :D) would go for the MTD K5.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Gard recommended the MTD Kingston 5, and I second that recommendation.

Another one that I would consider in your price range is the Ibanez BTB405. The neck is not quite as small as your Soundgear, but it has an awesome B string, 2 humbuckers, versatile electronics including a sweepable mid control and a quilt maple top.

Good luck, and Welcome to Talkbass!!:)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good catch, Jeff! I meant to add the BTB as well, just slipped my mind. Excellent choice, if you can get past the looks (I don't care for 'em). I have heard that they've had some QC trouble with the Mono-Rail bridges though (Angus?), so be aware of that.

5. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for good info. I was already interested in the DeArmond and will check out the other. Thanks again.

6. Sailor, by all means check out a BTB. You have to play one to appreciate it. The only thing that's stopping me from buying one today, is self control.

But it's comin', and it's coming soon!

Mike J.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A good used Fender Roscoe Beck V would be perfect. Too bad you just missed Jerry J's ... $700.