Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Sep 10, 2001.

1. anyone have any suggestions for a first 5 string in the region of £250-£350?

i know what i'd have if i had more money, but hey :)
    cheers
    *Si*

2. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    What's that in American dollars? Under $500? For that price you could get alot.

Here's a short list:
    MTD Kingston(embellisher should be along shortly to extoll the virtues of this instrument;) )

Cort Curbow - very nice fretless

Yamaha BBN5

Ibanez Soundgear 405

Fender MIM Jazz

Spector NS2000 Q5 - fair, but they've got 9 of the discontinued Czech NS5CR's for $1,000 left on Musician's Friend, which are definitely twice as good as the NS2000.

Or, you could find a world of items used.

Try to play as many as you can.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For a first inexpensive 5, I'd have to go with the Yamaha BB series. Great ax for the loot.

4. I second the MTD Kingston and the Yamaha BBN5.

Also, those new budget Stingrays (OLB or something?) might be something to check out.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    First the exchange rate is 1.466 but instruments in UK are that much more expensive so 1:1 is more realistic.

The best bang for Sterling are the Mim Fenders but the new 4's are about the £350 mark. I would go for a 2ndhand Mim from a shop and check their sh warranty policy.

7. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Honestly, don't get the MIM Fender because it's the only option. Check out the other ones, and see if you can order online or save the extra 150 pounds to get it. Of course, if you really like the MIM better, go for it.

Good luck!!

8. Cheers guys
    i already have a fretless (custom converted) so i'm looking for a fretted 5.
    i agree with everyone talking bout yamaha's, i have an RBX, and wen i get a 5, it'll stay as my back-up, probly even my 1st bass for certain styles (punk etc)

i'm really just looking for a 5 to rock out on, but also something versatile in its sounds

cheers again fer yer help
    Si-bob

9. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    By the way, what would you have if you had more money?

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    MTD kingston