Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bazzist, May 18, 2003.

1. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I am looking to hopefulyl buy my first 5 string bass. I have been playing 4 string for two years and mainly slap and fingerstyle.I want one with a nice tight b that wont kill my wallet.Active or passive doesnt matter.thx

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Fender Roscoe Beck V. Here's one. Click on the link. I have no affiliation with this guy, so don't blame me if things blow up.

Fender Roscoe Beck V

[​IMG]

3. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    thats a bit outta my range im looking kinda 600 or under(canadian) so thats liek 400 or 450 us or lower but thx anyway if can get that kidna money id buy that bass.essex and brice 5 strings have tight or loose b? i cant deal with a loose b like cort actions.any info on rock basses?

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, don't get sucked into the "Floppy B" mythology. Take any two basses of the same scale length, put the same strings on them, tune them to the same note, and the tension in the B string will be identical. If you like a tight B string, buy a stiff string. Maybe go to a 35-inch scale if you're worried. I have nine 5-string basses. The only one with a floppy B is my Pedulla ThunderBolt fretless. That's because I have TI Jazz Flats on it, the world's floppiest strings. They're all floppy. But they sound incredible ... they just take a lighter touch. If you can't adjust your playing style to get the best sound out of a string, I'd suggest you buy some #3 reinforcing steel and have a machine shop turn it down to the string diameters you require. They'll sound like crap, but they won't be floppy.

You definitely (note correct spelling) don't want Thomastik Infield Jazz strings ... they are the floppiest. The best sounding, but the floppiest.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    don't get sucked into the 34/35 inch scale mythology either. its all in the thickness and brand of the strings. Fatter = better in my book.

6. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey I'm selling a 5 string Ibanez EDB605 with a gig bag and extra strings. I can give you details if you're interested...I'm selling it right in your price range...I have the price lowered to $425 (US dollars) within the continental US...but that price should be the same for Canada as well. It was my first 5 string and it has served me very well. I'll send you pictures on request if you like. Goodluck!

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, while I agree that strings play the biggest role in floppistics, a 35-inch scale requires higher tension in the strings to achieve the same pitch, so there is a diffence with scale length, all other things being equal.

8. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I've never played a 34" scale five string that I've liked. That's just me though. Reguardless of how tight it *sounds*, I can't STAND playing a floppy B string.

This isn't ment as a bash on anyone here, but EVERYONE on Talkbass.com gets REALLY offensive when it comes to longer scale lengths being the way to go for 5+ string basses. I mean it's like they refuse to play anything else but 34" scales. Leo Fender didn't make the bass perfect, you know.

--Matthew

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Three of my basses have 35-inch scales. Everybody in here who plays Lakland fives plays a 35-inch scale. Even my new furniture bass has a 35-inch scale. I think your statement is a bit off the mark.

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

I didn't mean this thread specifically--I've seen some posts where people seem rather aggressive saying "longer scales don't make a bit of difference!!"

Also, people rarely speak of the *LONG* scales--like the 36"-38" scale basses. How come?

--Matthew

11. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
  12. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Useed MTD Kingston 5 or maybe a used Lakland Skyline 55-01 (not sure if you could get the lakland for hat much...)

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Fender Made In Mexico Deluxe Active Jazz V is a pretty good starting point. I think it's below $600.00 brand new. I've played the passive version which is pretty much the same bass without the active elects and it played/sounded fine. I recorded with it ...sounded great...gigged live (with a Bass Compactor) and it sounded great. 34" scale so it would probably be easier for you to transition to. Something to think about.
    -Bazz-