1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First 5'er. Have newb questions. Help plz.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Felix1776, May 12, 2015.

1. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

Ok all, here goes.

I recently joined a cover band which does some classic rock, old country, but mostly newer top 40 country stuff. Once I started looking into some of the songs i realized that some of the bassists are using 5'ers. So, i went on a search and purchased a great active deluxe jazz V from a fellow Tb'er which I just got today. On a couple of the songs, the guitars are in drop C# (drop D down half step). I know the bassist (Tully Kennedy of the Jason Aldean band) is strictly a 5 string player. I learned those songs on my P bass played in drop C# and they were pretty straight forward. My question is, when it comes to re-learning these songs on a 5'er, should I keep it in standard tuning and just re-learn the positions or do I tune everything down a half step and just learn the positions needed on the low B string. The bass is set up for standard tuning and obviously the C# i need is there on the B in standard tuning. If this an incredibly stupid question then I apologize in advance. Any help is appreciated.

2. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    I would leave it in standard tuning.

Bassically, Michael

T-Funk likes this.
  3. ^ what he said.

4. I also have elected to stay in standard tuning. On some of the capo songs I do ask the keyboard what key they will be playing in and I do likewise.

IMO anytime a capo or non standard tuning is used it is to help someone do something easier... It is easier for me to stay in standard tuning and adjust the key to what the song ends up being played in.

Michael4bass likes this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I was once in a band where we played everything down half a step. For that band, I tuned the whole bass down the half-step, just so that I wouldn't have to learn a new position after learning a song to a recording. If it's only for certain songs, and especially if your band is playing it in the same key it was recorded in, just leave it in standard tuning and learn the position to play in accordingly.

Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  6. Standard tuning.

Honestly, it took me about six weeks to get used to five after four.

Then it clicked like a switch, all at once.

A light-bulb moment.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  7. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    stay standard .... that IS why you have/got a 5ver ...!!

8. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

Thanks all. Staying in standard seems to be working fine. It's not as odd as I thought it would be.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    There are 3 questions I ask myself when I am deciding whether to play a song in standard tuning or an altered tuning:

1. Which tuning sounds best for the song?
    2. Which tuning is easier for me to play as a bassist?
    3. Which tuning makes it easier for the rest of the band to follow what I am doing?

Felix1776 likes this.
  10. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    I prefer to stay in standard beadg. Never tried eadgc

11. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    My thoughts exactly! That is what I did, as it enables me to bring one bass to a gig where 7-8 out of 20 songs are in dropped tuning.

Felix1776 likes this.