First 5er, looking for opinions from my esteemed colleagues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzychaos, Mar 2, 2010.

1. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am about to venture into purchasing my first five string bass, and I would like to have some opinions on my choices. I have played all of them, except the Brubaker. Other suggestions are awesome as well and my specs would be: My budget is $1100 max used or new, I prefer wide string spacing and either active or passive are fine. I am looking for a nice, I hate to use the term, "growly" tone for rock, but I am playing more jazz/gospel now as well. All those I have played, I have liked.

My researched choices:

1. Used MTD KZ 5

2. Used Lakland 55-02

3. New Brubaker Brute (looking at the MJ5)

4. New G & L Tribute 2500

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peace.

2. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    *cough* Lakland LOG 5 string P bass *cough*

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lots of options available but since you've played most of those listed, I'd say go with the one that trips your trigger. Not a lot of help? Okay...I'd opt for the Lakland 55-02.

Riis

4. chimpbass

chimpbass

Jan 16, 2008
    Denver, CO
    55-02. You'll mostly never want to play anything else....mostly.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Out of all of the above, I would go Lakland.

There seems to be a lot of Brutes and MTD Kingstons being sold used these days.

I have little experience with Tributes, but the ones I have tried played nice and were well constructed.

6. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    New Fender American Standard Jazz V

7. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    The new Dingwall Combustion series basses are wicked, and they are assembled over seas so they are very affordable. I would try one out before you buy anything.

8. this.

9. yeeharacing

yeeharacing

Feb 27, 2009
    My opinion would be the MTD or G&L...

The MTD has a beautiful sound and the neck is contoured so I find it more comfortable to play.

The G&L has some awesome growl but you may want to hit the gym for a year before picking it up... It's heavy.

10. I go for the G&L, with those series/parallel switches you can hit pretty much any tone. Lakland's a great bass tho.

11. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    G&L

12. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    +1

You won't get a better B string anywhere for that amount of money.. Or double that amount of money :D Apart from other Dingwalls, of course :smug:

I suppose you want a 5er for the B string, right? No point in buying a 5er with a mediocre B IMO, it's better to buy a 4 stringer in that case.

13. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    If you could ever find one, a used Clement 5 would have a great B string too. And LIGHT!

14. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    +1 for Dingwall
    I purchased a used AB1 for $1400 (CND) last year and have since sold my 55-02, no contest in my opinion. I have not played a Combustion yet but I will be purchasing one this year and it is not too far from your price range.
    Good luck!

15. Lakland

16. gsaer

gsaer

Feb 12, 2008
    Mankato, Minnesota
    For a passive J style bass I would go with Lakland, for active electronics package I would go with MTD. Both have great build quality and playability relative to their price points.

17. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    Lakland 55-02..

18. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions.

+1 on the Clement. I am thinking of ordering a 4 string or 5 string fretless from him sometime during the summer. Love the redwood tops, maybe a redwood burl if he can source it.

19. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :bag: :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021