1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Act bass - looks cool

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Jan 5, 2007.

1. I got a calander in the mail with my G****r Player magazine, and this was one of the pages. Looks very cool & I hope to see them put something out other than custom shop only.

BAII bridge, Dark Stars, Hollow... I likey. Not to mention, that Drive-By Truckers are one of my favorite bands.

shonnafromDBT.

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    WOW!

that's a first act?

like the garbage you can buy at walmart?

Some one in the shop is definitely paying attention.

Darkstars...

yeah someone has really been paying attention.

....to us

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    It seems to be a pretty well kept secret that First Act has a custom shop in Beantown that puts out high end guitars.

4. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    First Act is a high end custom shop (I saw a special on DIY where they were making a custom guitar for a national act) with a good business plan. I don't know how they got into the mass import business, but they did. They have a line of beginner/kids instruments at WalMart, Toys 'R Us and other places that is pretty cheap and sells in large volumes.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Kind of makes me wonder which "flavor" of First Act guitars were being sold with Volkswagens in that promotion featuring Slash, John Mayer, and Nigel Tufnel . . .

I'm guessing it's the crappy imports they sell at Wal-mart.

6. I knew they did customs, but I still conect them with walmart

7. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I actually heard they were from the custom shop, i saw one on local craigslist go for 700 dollars

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    no way. no how. link me to their custom shop.

9. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
  10. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    [​IMG]

Actually not a bad price for custom shop, not a ton of options but you can get pretty close.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is mind-blowing. I actually thought the "First Act" brand name was owned by some larger company, like Washburn, and that the name was in reference to its inherent "beginner" status.

12. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I thought that too for awhile, but they do make some really nice guitars.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yup.

14. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    that is one sexy hollowbody! :bassist:

15. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i normally hate hollybody basses like that,
    but that thing kicks some serious ass.

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think the real question is....

Did the First Act Custom Shop or the First Act "Walmart" come first?

My suspicion is that the "Walmart" branded instruments came first, as we at GC had been laughing about them for years before we had heard of their Custom Shop.

I think that thier Custom shop instruments are probably very good, but they seem to exist soley to provide custom guitars to professionals so as to give credibility and advertising for thier el-cheapo Walmart lines.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I've never seen anything other than the sub-squire quality first-act guitars in stores.

17. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that the name was just that, but that they are trying to change their image as of late.

18. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Not "made" in the custom shop "designed" in the custom shop. I think we are looking at a mid-priced import guitar here. This is probably to the FA Custom shop what a 60's (MIM) Jazz is to a Fender Custom Shop.

It may be a good guitar, but don't let "designed" fool you.

19. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like a very smart business plan to me!

I've walked past thier shop in Boston a few times, but it has always been at night when they are not open. Maybe I'll have to stop down there for a test drive and report back to TB? Do you think they'll let me take pictures in the store?

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I've played their basses in the Boston custom shop. They're absolute crap, and they charge $4000 for them.

Their cheaper stuff is what you'd expect . . . awful.