Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First album review.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's a bit much, but I like it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The world as we know it will change March 1. Rock 'n' roll will be saved. The face of music will change forever. The sh*t is seriously coming down.

What's the deal you inquire? Look no further than saviors of rock, El Pus. (Pronounced "El Poose;" a slang term for "the s*it.") But before I bring you their powerful testimonial, a brief history lesson if you will.

Rock music in 2005 is boring, predictable and was done ten million times better in the 70s and early 80s. Got it? Good. Now let's proceed.

El Pus is so pimp, the first time they sent their album to The Jambar, it didn't even play. The "Pootie Tang" silent album maneuver worked, as when Mr. Delivery Man rolled through a second time and made us sign for their CD (suck on that Kid Rock), I knew the holy grail of albums awaited.

And that's just what we got with the advance copy of the El Pus album, " Hoodlum Rock, Vol. 1"

They drop their testimonial right out of the gate with "Monday Morning." Think of a rap version of the Marvelous 3, with dance-like Poisonesque choruses - not in a mullet sporting MILF way, but rather a clubbing on a work night way.

From said track: "Smoke smoke y'all, cheeba cheeba y'all, get crunk y'all, ya don't stop."
    Exactly.

From "Thing Thing:" "Smoke something, toke something, put some lubrication on it and choke something." Yep.

If "Girl" didn't contain profanity, it would be an instant number one. Lyrically it's Digital Underground rap, musically it's 70s dance meets Metallica.

Led Zeppelin had "Stairway to Heaven," Aerosmith had "Dream On," El Pus has "Suburb Thuggin."

From said track, gangster wannabes from Canfield, Boardman and Poland take note: "You ain't really never seen no gangster s*it cause if you did you'd be p*ssin' yourself...You're not a tough guy. Pull your pants up." Damn straight.

From some other song (really the names don't matter): "The girl across the bar looks so good to me, but I don't know if it's her body or the ecstacy." The Rolling Stones had cocaine, El Pus got X. What are you gonna do?

It's 2005 now folks. Time to face the fact that The White Stripes, The Strokes and the Killers are not going to save rock. What's bad is that you don't even have to know how to write songs to save rock. (e.g. Kiss, AC/DC after the 70s, etc.) But new bands can't even "not write," songs well. El Pus on the other hand, does a pretty good job of it. Really rock 'n' roll's only hope is to fuse elements that have already been done, better than anyone else had already done before. Make sense? If not, good. Quit thinking so hard and buy El Pus. It doesn't stink. Catchy. Rock. Rap. Guitar. Pimp. Good. Blah.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    kick ass!!!

I had my girl watching "Suburb Thuggin" on Launch last night... she dug it too!

(we gots a whole lotta wannabe's in our area that coulda made the video shoot :meh: )

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You can recognize some of the "tongue in cheekness" of it, but it's still cool.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hell yeah... One comment she made was that she "liked it better then that Eminem video" something about "it was funny and a good time but not forced or silly"

take that for what it's worth.... she's a 29 year old Italian/Scottish American... born and raised in Ocean County NJ and listens to Pop, New Country and Filk mostly.

I said it in your other thread.... all y'all remind me of old Bad Brains and Fishbone.

Great stuff man, it's gonna take y'all somewhere.... I think America is ready for something real :bassist:

5. Yay! I'm savin up my money to buy it the day it comes out!

(psssssssttt.... Chuck, when you get a second, would you PM me?)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    LOL! You got it! I'm still humbled by your profile! :bassist:

7. uh, source? not that i don't believe you or anything.

sounds like you're going places. what label is this?

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's from the Jambar, the paper of Youngstown State University in Ohio. Oh, the label is Virgin.

Here's the article:

http://www.thejambar.com/news/849717.html

9. Sounds good , Ill be sure to check your album out.