Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First all acoustic gig!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I did my first all-acoustic (except for bass) gig tonight, what a blast.

I recently joined up with a local band, who is actully 2 bands in one. The electric side is going to be doing newer, somewhat lighter rock, 80's era dance tunes, some funk/disco, and a bit of tasteful classic rock. The acoustic side which is 3 guitars, 3 singers, and me on the low end.

Tonight we did our first gig, at an upscale coffee house (the $100k and up club). I have lots of experience in the rock bands I've been in doing clubs, but this was something totally different. Number one, the people that were there were there to hear music, not to get drunk/laid ect. Every seat in the house was taken, and the response was great! Even in the middle of the songs when the guys would nail a 3 part harmony vocal, the crowd would go nuts!

For this gig, all I took was my Sterling, my sansamp BDDI, cables, ect. I was a little worried about the sterling being a little too rude, but it behaved very nicely, and had a great sound dialed in with the sansamp. I suppose the dead strings I hate may have attributed to it. I am also thinking of looking into an EUB for the acoustic set as well.

One of the best things about playing high scale coffee house gigs? First off, it paid well, considering we have no overhead on it, but the fact it closes at 10, and allows time to go check out the other fishing ponds is nice as well. One of the guys and I went to a couple clubs afterwards, and had quite a few people that caught the set, stop us to say how much they enjoyed it.....what a feeling!

Next week we debut the electric side of the band on Saturday, at a girls divorce party (yes, she's hot too). This might get interesting! More or less, we are getting paid 3 bills to practice at her place, and we own all the gear we need to do the gig. Women on the reboud, free drinks, food, and we're the hosts of the party.....maybe I should bring my digital cam along yes?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Acoustic gigs are a blast...glad you enjoyed yours. That's all I've been doing for the past year, but I use my Warmoth fretless on them.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So... all acoustic except for the bass? :rolleyes: :D

Glad it worked out well though.

Wulf

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Guitars are acoustic/electric, and all instruments and vocals go through the FOH.

It is an acoustic-based set. With the appropriate tone you dial in, added to some numb strings, I really doubt it would sound much different out front regardless.

Would you like me to retitle it to "Semi-acoustic, with electric bass, onboard preamps, 2 floor wedges, 2 mains, a mixer, and two power amps"? :rolleyes:

Oh yea, forgot to add the mics and cables to the title!!!!

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    That's pretty cool man, glad it went over really well. Got any recordings??????

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Bring the camera.
    We expect a full story with footage, too. :D

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The whole 'unplugged' thing seems a bit of a misnomer, when everything is plugged in... but of course you can't achieve a truly acoustic (no electricity) gig unless you're in a smallish room with not too many people present. I guess I'm just taking 'acoustic' to mean 'unamplified' whereas you're thinking 'unprocessed'. Whatever... we're still hearing it 'acoustically' ;)

Naming aside, I'm sure it was great. At the last minute, my band added a flamenco guitar duet playing during our break on Friday night, and that was really enjoyable. I'd have loved to have joined in, laying down some bass grooves, but they were having enough trouble being heard as it was, even miked up and running into the PA.

Wulf

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    DIVORCE PARTY PICS!!!!!!!!!!

..and congrats ANB...sounds like a great gig.
    Let me know next time you do the coffee shop thing or a bar gig with the electric band and I'll stop over!

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Told ya youd do a good job at it didnt I ;)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to play in a little acoustic outfit, that was fun. I played upright then, we had one steel string and one nylon string guitar, a minimal trap kit with acoustic sticks(you know those ones that are like a bunch of little wooden sticks bound together)

and sometimes sax and mandolin.

Acoustic music is great.

11. :cool:

:D I plan on doing strictly fretless for those types of gigs as well. Is it fun to play the whole show on fretless?

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Sorry for not responding earlier...yeah, it's a lot of fun, especially when guys decide to play something fast and furious for a change! It's really made me work on my technique and intonation, but that's half the fun - it's always challenging.