Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cbassmnm, Dec 18, 2005.

1. cbassmnm

cbassmnm

Dec 18, 2005
    Hi, Ive been playin bass for a while on my 15 watt fender amp, and am ready to move up. I need an amp that will be heard and sound decent over a mic'd drumset and a marshall guitar amp (im not sure how many amps it is but its like a speaker cabinet and it has a box that sits on top with all the controls and stuff... I think it is a "half stack" or something?) But anyway Im not lookin for somethin huge cuzz this is just for jammin in this guys house with a bandroom. We play like just rock music. I need for this amp to be loud enough to be heard and sound decent. I was thinking about the fender Rumble 100... with the 15' speaker. I heard it was pretty loud and good for the money... or I was thinkin the Bassman 150... its a little more but i was wondering if it was louder since its 50 watts more, but its only a 10' speaker. I was wonderin if someone could give me some advice on what to get... i dont want to spend more than like 400 or around there. thanks.... oh and its just a fender squire p bass.

2. izzlite

izzlite

Jul 25, 2005
    Hmm, I had a Hartke B60 that kept up with my cousins Marshall Half Stack, but when our other guitarist moved from a 30W hughes and kettner amp to a half stack as well, I needed to get a Peavey TNT 115, 150W and it was originally 675 but on sale for 400 i think. So anything 100-150 will do you well.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    My advice to you would be get as much speakers and watts as you can afford to.

Id also go with a seperate head and speaker cabinet since you'll probably want to upgrade if you ever start to gig. That way you can upgrade piece by piece.

I don't know how much used gallien krueger stuff goes for over their but it would definitely be worth a look.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What's your budget like, If your up against a mic'ed drum set and a 100 watt Marshall tube amp,your gonna need some power. Usually you need more watts than the guitarist because the freaquencies he's using are hard to cut thruogh, and an aggressive drummer w/o a mic is hard to get over.
    I don't want to intimidate you or anything, but I'd be looking at a 250 watt 210 or something like that.

5. if you get a 100-150w amp, you'll soon be upgrading.
    Get something at least 400w - and you'll be keeping it for a long time.
    I second the peavey gear - cheap, reliable and good!

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was trying to take it easy on him but you're right. My rig is 450 watts and I'm considering upgrading. I mentioned the 250 watt 210 w/ Nemesis in mind I understand they are loud for a 250. They may be cheap for Eden but they still cost you a wad of cash.
    I haven't had much experience w/ Peavey, but that's not a bad idea.

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Can't beat Peavey on reliability, power and affordability. The Firebass is a great unit - it puts out 700W/2 Ohms, it has simple controls and it is bomb-proof ;)

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you are just jammin in the house, why is the drumset mic'd up? Here's some advice; don't mic the set; super-glue the guitar amp volume at 1, maybe 2, and get a 400 watt amp.

9. You sound just like my friend forrest, he's in the exact same situation as you. Guitar Center, and i'm sure every other store, has HUGE sales now and after christmas, so I'd check that out. GK backline combos are pretty good for the money.
    I second all that stuff about wattage, there's like a 3:1 ratio i think if you want to compete with guitar amps. A rule of thumb, if you have to turn up to 9 or 10 while practicing, it's time to upgrade.
    good luck, peace

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    $400 is a tight budget for a bass rig. If you can hold out to raise a little more funds, a good choice would be an Ashdown MAG 300 with an Avatar 2x12 cabinet (www.avatarspeakers.com). Both are very good quality pieces of gear and should get the job done until you are playing pretty serious venues.

11. cbassmnm

cbassmnm

Dec 18, 2005
    thanks for the advice. I talked to a guy today at work that plays in a church band and he says to go ahead and spend more to get something you wont regret getting, and wont have to upgrade for a while. Im still not totally sure what i want to get, but ill keep lookin on the internet.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Good advice!! I don't know where you live, you didn't fill out your profile. :eyebrow: If there is a decent music store nearby, you really need to play them, or you may get something you regret.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I agree with all of the above - especially the part about Peavey...

- georgestrings