First Amp/Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmasta86, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Hey there,

After I buy my new six string, I'm going to be looking for a new amp/head rig. Right now I'm playing through a Peavey combo amp, and I desperatly need better tone/options.

What I'm heading towards is a SWR 350x and possibly a 4X10 goliath cab. I don't want anything bigger than this because I will have to move it myself :D Also, I will be playing fairly small gigs as well, that will most likely be miked, so loudness isn't really that much of a problem. I'm thinkin that this setup will be loud enough for jamming with a drummer (the amp not miked).

What do you guys think? This will be my first real amp too so I want a variety of opinions.

Thanks a bunch in advance guys, I really appreciate it!

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    GK Head (400RB, 800RB, 540RB however much wattage you need. The 400RB is plenty loud for competing with a LOUD drummer).

2x10 cab of some sort. Make sure you get a nice one. A good sounding 2x10 is a godsend, because they don't weigh as much as a 4x10 and for gigs where you're going through the PA you don't need a huge rig. With a 2x10 (or maybe 2 1x12's) you would be able to keep up with a drummer and be heard plenty at gigs.

The advantage of my suggestion is weight. Lugging an 89 pound 4x10 is not fun, especially after a gig.