1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Amp Purchase- Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Milstein, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Ok experts..please enlighten me. About to go purchase my first amp. I've been using the rehearsal studios old amps, borrowed amps ,etc etc for years, but now getting own space with my band. Looking for the best combo amp for $500 or less. Playing with 2 guitarists and a drummer so want enough sound in a 24' x 24' rehearsal room plus to bring for small-med size gigs. I thought about the ampeg ba115, but some have suggested its too small. Sounds good in the stores though. Should I go bigger/louder? Will wait for you honchos with better knowledge to aim me in the right direction.

Thanks much!

Joey

2. Maybe some of the new GK combos. Used stuff is always a better value. Look for older Carvin and Peavey stuff.

3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i know the gk backline stuff is good bang for the buck. those new combos of theirs look even better.

4. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    What do people know of SWR Working Pro 15 200 Watt 1x15" Bass Combo Amp ?

Tnks for the input!

5. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Hey Joey,

First of all, buy used. You'll get two or three times the amp for the money that way.

Secondly, I'd say go with a head and cab rather than a combo because:

1) Combos are designed with compromises, and therefore have limitations in both volume and tone.

2) You can always pick and choose cabinets to fit the size/style of the gig. With a combo amp, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got.

As far as recommendations go, just use your ears. Bring your bass to some music stores and plug into everything you can find... THEN hit the used market! :D

Also, if you're gonna be playing with 2 gui****s and a drummer, you'll want at least a solid 200 watts.

Mas power = bueno!

6. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Thanks.... makes sense.

7. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I have plenty of experience with this amp, and I think it's absolutely terrible. There are much better choices out there for considerably less money.

The Ashdown MAG 300 combos are loud, sound amazing, and top out around $499 brand new.

8. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    what do you think of the MAG C-115 300 Combo Bass Amp? is it powerful enough for small gigs ? it has only 1 x 15" BlueLine speaker but 307 watts.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Volume requires multiple speakers, not big wattage. A combo amp will always be limited to whatever speakers it contains, unless it can add an ext cab. A head and seperate cab is always a better option, especially if you want volume. 300 watts and a good 4x10 is what you really want, and for $500, you can find something on the used market that'll blow away any combo for the same price new. (again, unless the combo amp can add an ext cab, like the new GK 210 neo combo).

10. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'd say it would be plenty for small gigs, but keep in mind, you're only getting about 180 watts to the internal speaker. The full 307 watts only becomes available once you hook up an extension cab.

I'd spend the extra $100 and go with the 2X10" version. It'll probably be louder (greater speaker displacement), and you'll get more low end out of it than the 1X15".