First Amp (Used): Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry if this is perhaps the wrong section.

I just bought a combo amp + goodies pack from a friend for $700 USD (includes good shipping, air express).

Heres what I KNOW I'm getting..

-Yorkville XM200(T? He can't recall)
    -KORG Pandora multi-effects unit
    -Boss Chorus pedal
    -Boss Ovedrive pedal

and some "surprises" that he won't reveal.

How does that sound? This will be, essentially, my first amp. I'm hoping to be able to use it in small local shows, and for band practice. Am I getting my money's worth ?
  2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Well, it's not what I would have gotten if I were in your shoes, but I hope you enjoy it. I would have gone for a used inexpensive 4x10 cabinet (Avatar, or a number of others) and the loudest used head you could get, like a GK, or a number of other brands...and skipped the effects and stuff. $700 can go pretty far if you're patient.

But I don't know your combo amp personally, I'm just going by its specs which can be misleading...hope it works out for ya!

3. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Gee, thanks for that... confidence booster... :p. I've heard pretty much what you said though, it doesn't really surprise me.
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Boss pedals are good quality. I use their bass chorus.

I agree $700 can go a long way if you know the market well.

Find out the wattage and type of speakers (2x10, 1x12, 1x15 etc) in your combo and we can tell you if you did well or not.
  5. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    2 x 10, I've heard they're 2 ohms on the 2 10"s, but 4 ohms out to an extension (or something along those lines).
  6. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Their Bass Overdrive pedal is terrible.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That pandora is a great thing.

I have a pandora and I practice with it exclusively. The sell for in the 2-300 range new. Has amp/cab/effects modeler, good metronome, phrase trainer etc. I don't use mine live, but it's been an excellent thing to use to practice. When I'm practicing a lot I'll use mine 3+ hours a day.
  8. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Heh...sorry I didn't register that you bought the Overdrive pedal. I saw Boss effects. Yeah I sold mine not too long ago. It's the most unrealistic overdrive sound I have ever heard. It injects sooo much noise into the signal also.
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1 on the Pandora. Great for practice and they ain't cheap, I still haven't figured out what all it will do.