1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First amp with effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BCRichguy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Ok, so I have a Orange crush 100 and it has a send and return effects loop in the back. I never really got too into pedals and this is my first time with an amp with a loop and I just so happend to score a 70s Morley Tel-Ray power wah boost too cheap to pass up and am now seriously considering a joyo vintage overdrive for the tube screamer mimic. My Orange already has a blended gain channel that does all I need hence why I haven't used pedals (except the orange fs-1 footswitch for the gain channel).
    My Question is this:
    When I get the pedals here, what is the proper way to plug into the effects loop? I know its a bit of a "newbie" question...its just a situation I've not had come up yet and the manual is really a single sided list of specs...I'm sure I'd figure it out quick enough, but why not ask and know for sure? Thanks everyone in advance for not laughing at me and all the help!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Pedals are for your bass signal. The effects loop is for rack mounted gear. It has to do with the impedence of the gear.

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Typical effect pedals are not line level output devices and thus will usually work much better after your bass and before the instrument input jack. Typically rack mount effects are line level and will work nicely with your effects loop. There are always exceptions, but the wah and overdrive you mentioned would likely not fall into that category. Here is a good resource to help further clarify: www.ovnilab.com/articles/fxloop.shtml

foal30, mbelue, BooDoggie and 2 others like this.
  4. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Ok, so I'm still plugging like I normally would without an fx loop then? I was wondering how the signal path was going to make sence with the bass going into the amp and the effects pedals into the back....makes sence now. Thanks!

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I can offer you one example of an "non-rack mount effect type device" that seems to work equally well for me when using it in the instrument input or in the effects loop of many heads: the HPF-Pre Series 3 high pass filter. You route the effects send to that little box's input and then send the box's output to the effects return jack.

You can also usually use the line level send from something like a BDDI directly into the effects return, there-by taking your head's pre-amp out of the equation. In this example you get a functionality that doesn't involve using the effects send or the normal instrument input - the BDDI becomes your pre-amp which feeds the head's power amp through the effects return signal.

catcauphonic likes this.
  6. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Very cool.. good to know. Thank you all already.

DrummerwStrings and Al Kraft like this.
  7. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Would the effects loop work with a bankable multi-effects pedal or are you still better off lined-up and into the imput?

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It can (if you can set it for line level output) but there is probably no reason to use the loop.

An FX loop is an insert point between the preamp and power amp sections of your amp.

They are normally used when you're using the preamp to get distortion sounds and using time based effects. Typical of high gain guitar amps.

Time based effects will usually sound better when distortion is fed into them rather than the other way around.

If you're not using your preamp to get distortion you really don't need to use a loop, unless you're running line level gear that needs to be in the loop.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    What the heck is a effects loop lol

On the serious side. Some effects are more useful post distortion. And if using head distortion or channel overdrive the effects loop allows you to place them post distortion.

Otherwise in typical pedal chain you simple put them in the end of the chain.

Mainly reverb or delay based stuff.

Usually filter based effects are good for bass. And if using basic delay flanger or reverb just put em at the end of pedal chain.

Dave W likes this.
  10. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Besides reverb or delay I wouldn't use an effects loop. Or for a noise gate maybe ?

Jewce likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Number of times I've used an effects loop: about 5. Number of times I've liked it: 0. Just go in line... The pedals you have were made to go in line and a loop won't do anything but make them sound lousy.

mbelue, Al Kraft and BCRichguy like this.
  12. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    Yeah, that seems to be the general feeling among everyone...just seems like the company brags about the built in fx loop so much I thought it would be something "special". Jokes on me...lol.

DrummerwStrings, Al Kraft and JimmyM like this.
  13. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Oddly enough for many of us the effects loop is more often a source of an intermittent cutting in and out problem after the micro-contacts develop high resistance from oxidation that occurs over many years. It's not a big deal or anything to worry about.

One of the easy fixes if you ever find your amp seems to have an intermittent issue is to plug a short patch cable into the effects a send and return jacks. It doesn't always work and the effects loop contacts are not always the problem when an amp isn't working right, but it's worth knowing this little trick to help with troubleshooting or save a gig.

14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Some loops will work fine with pedal. Some not so much. Just try it and see what you like better.

15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I've used the return side of an effects loop occasionally to bypass the preamp and drive the amp with another preamp, or the signal out of a crossover (low or high). The power amp-in jack is usually used for that function, but depending on the amp, the return side of the efx loop will bypass everything (internal preamp, tone controls) except the power amp's level control.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Welcome to the Marketing Musical Instruments And Accessories class. Rule #1: Everything on every piece of gear is special.

Al Kraft likes this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    An effects unit is more "effective" for guitars - especially when you're using something like a modeler and the 4 cable method. I'll let the "4 cable method" for a Google search.

18. I don't know what this guy is talking about. But...no. the fx loop is used for running effects in after the pre-amp, instead of in the input stage. It's also used for running multiple amps together. If you run your input into the return, you can actually bypass the entire pre-amp, and get a powered, pure sound of your natural bass. There is usually a diagram (although, it might be confusing at first to look at) of the flow of that particular amp in the manual. But usually, the "input" goes through the "gain" structure, sent to the "pre-amp" which gives it the sound of that amp (color, flavor, tone), then the fx loop comes in. "Send" sends everything from the previous stages through a cable (to whatever you want to plug it into) and "return" sends whatever you have plugged in straight to the power section of the amp "Master" (volume). I hope that clarified that for you.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    seamonkey, catcauphonic and BCRichguy like this.
  19. Noise gate would be perfect here. After everything else.

MojoPenguin likes this.
  20. BCRichguy

BCRichguy

Jan 2, 2018
    THIS is EXACTLY what I was wanting to know. So, my signal can go from my bass to the master imput, cable out from the send jack of the fx loop to whatever pedals/order then last pedal out to the return on the fx loop and signal with all added fx to speaker and bam, noise? This is what my mind says anyhow. If so, this IS what I wanted and expected from the loop.
    Ordered another cable today anyhow, so with any luck, by mid-end week mystery solved on my end either way.

Jewce likes this.