first amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hop, Oct 23, 2000.

1. hop

Oct 23, 2000
    I know I should have stayed solely acoustic, but the time had come. Acoustic guitarist for five years recently turned bass player (picked up a Godin A4 cheap and like it a lot) but I know nothing--not next to nothing-- about amps. I don't need anything super huge or beefy as I'm only going to be playing with a few friends. Something hopefully less than $400...and can't be more than a single 12" due to space limitations. I don't want some wimpy practice amp; I'd rather have something that I wouldn't outgrow in a year.
    I've played a Hartke (don't remember the model) and it was nice, also played an Ampeg (don't remember the model) and it was also very nice. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to look for. Thanks!!!
    BTW I play all sorts of stuff from bluegrass to metal...but prefer to stay on the lighter/jazzier side of things.
  2. You may want to check out a SWR Workingman's 1x12 combo. You can probably pick one up used for $400 or less.
  3. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    swr used to make a single 15 combo--i know you said not bigger than a single 12, but this amp was pretty compact--amp controls were on the top. it's called the Basic Black and it's NOT a workingman's series. it's the best combo i think i've played through. new they were about $700. i sold mine a couple of years back for $350. good luck finding one.
  4. hop

Oct 23, 2000
    Thanks to the wonder of web-browsing, I now know I played a Hartke Kickback 10 (or was it a 12???) and an Ampeg b50r. Both were just under $400, the Hartke being a bit more compact.
    What are the warning signs to look out for when looking at a used amp?
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Just to throw in another: yesterday I played through an Ampeg BA112 - really good sounding! With just 50Wattts fairly loud but not overpowered though - depends on what you need.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Basically, plug in to ALL inputs and try ALL controls while playing. If it has an effects loop, bring a patch cord to make sure it works (i.e. patch between send and recieve jacks).

Listen for buzzes, rattles, distortion, noises when adjusting the controls.

Look for signs of severe physical abuse (bent jack panels indicate the amp has been dropped, etc.).

On tube amps, tap tubes GENTLY with a pencil and listen for any odd noises.

7. I got sick of my wimpy 10 watt practice amp and scored a Crate BFX50 for 323.00 out the door at Guitar Center.It has a single 12`` and is more than enough for any garage band/jam session.It has 9 effects(none of which I use).A five year warranty from the mfg.and a good sound!Check em out!

p.s.I was also looking at the SWR Workingman`s 10.80Watts and SMALL!!! A bit more though...