First (and worst) gig ever!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Only, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    So there's a bunch of local musicians who have an open jam on Tuesdays near here. Tonight they were doing an acoustic set, followed by electric. They had a girl to play P-bass for the electric, but no one for the acoustic, so I grabbed my ABG and joined in. I've played for small groups of people before, in rehearsed bands, but I'd never done a live jam for a bar full of people.

Aside from the fact that it's been months since I played my ABG and I'd forgotten how to hold it comfortably, I'd never heard ANY of the songs we did and had to guess my way through.

Also, for the intimidation factor, two of the four other guys on stage with me are international traveling, session playing musicians, one guy is the son of a fairly famous country music guy, and the fourth teaches music theory in the local college.

And I proceeded, nervous and unprepared, to suck. Suck badly. Lots of root notes were heard on this night. and quite a few wrong notes, as well. I tried to turn slightly to follow one of the guitarists, but the feedback was out tonight, too.

...So after going through all that tonight, I think my gig down there next Tuesday is gonna be a piece of cake! :D :D
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Pfft. wrong notes? Nah. You were just... employing some weird Australian scale. or something.
  3. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Well yeah... :) Next time can only be better, right? And I bet you did worse than you thought you would ever do, but the outcome was fine anyway?

That's what happened to me, at least. Keep it up and enjoy... :bassist: Cool that you took the chance, too. Good for you. I'm sure it was better than you thought anyway. :)
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I`ve just had my first big gig with my new blues band last week. I didn`t feel my hands for the first three songs, and played really sloppy. But after that i got my s**t together and played as good as I could. We were supposed to play 12 songs, and ended up with around 25 or so :) But the first songs were a nightmare...
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Just tell them your background is in freeform jazz.
  7. A similar thing happened to me recently. I've been playing for ten years but have only recently started to muddle my way through jazz. Anyway, I started hanging out at this place where they play Jazz on Thursdays and often I would go up on stage to play with the musicians there as even an unexperienced jazz bassist is better than none at all.

One day Mike De Ferro, a famous Dutch pianist (played with Coco York and many others) walks in and everyone invited him to play. So he sits down on the piano, looks at me and asks me what I wanted to play.

Red faced I told him I could play Autum Leaves, Girl from Ipanema, Fly me to the moon and a couple more cliche' jazz standards then proceeded to make an utter fool of myself. I walked out very quickly then.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wrong notes are "passing tones".
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My favorite tactic is what I call the "event horizon" technique. Based on the (now defunct) theory by Dr. Hawking, I suck so bad, I become the asstacular singularity, and come out the other side, none the worse for the wear.

That, or suck so bad, everyone assumes nobody could be that, bad, and thinks I'm playing free jazz for some reason.
  10. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Somehow, I don't think they'd have taken kindly to the idea that I was improving those Merle Haggard songs by improving free jazz basslines.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why you gotta h8?
  12. Keentwist

Mar 22, 2004
    oh man did we butcher a tune on Saturday, wow.... :( :oops:
  13. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Back in April while playing my first pro gig with a real working band, my bass wiring blew out (made a series of clicking noises and then the bass went dead) in the middle of a blues song I wrote. Luckily I had a second bass ready to go as a back-up (Fender P/J). The switch took about 30 seconds. Lesson: ALWAYS HAVE A BACK-UP BASS READY TO GO. DOING THAT SAVED OUR GIG!

Here's a pic after doing the switch and drying off the sweat. (The next day I cracked open the bass sitting on the floor and replaced the neck pickup)
  14. Just had my first jig last Saturday. Hit a ton of stinkers, got lost a few times and pretty much sucked. But I loved it and so did the band I was sitting in with.
  15. exactly...thats why there are so many scales out there...just tell them you were play the superbassmanian scale with a charlitian mode and also added some only-ian tritones!

and all those professional musicians will just run off and hide in a corner being reduced to just mumbling,"MaRk HoPpus...***...LOL...4-string Guitar..."