1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First attempt at a refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skeptikal, Mar 16, 2009.

1. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So, yesterday I was GAS'ing like crazy for a new bass and got in my car to go to guitar center. Well long story short I left guitar center with no bass, and a new idea.... refinish my yamaha.

Here she is last April.

[​IMG]

Here she was as of yesterday. Well actually the whole front is without paint. and is rough sanded.

[​IMG]

There will be many more pictures as I complete the project. Well this actually is going to end up being more than just a refinish since i pretty much ruined the input jack and pots. Oh well just gives me a reason to upgrade them. I love how light the bass is and don't really want to go spend $500+ on a new bass. So i'll spend a couple hundred and redo this one (i'm a customization guy myself).

Thanks for looking! P.s. - I paint stripper is some toxic ish.

2. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Maybe you guys can help me decide how to finish it!

I have a spray gun, primer gun, and a big air compressor and have shot paint before, but not a pro. Unfortunately I'm not creative and I don't know what I want to do with it.

I was thinking maybe just sanding it down to the grain and staining it. I've got this deep cherry wood stain that almost looks like the color of the warwick. That will get used if I go that route.

But then I was thinking, could possibly paint it (little more prep work here) a dark or smoke color gray, then a light misting of black spray over the top to give it a little something else. But I don't know.

What do you think about routing the thing out and replacing the jazz pickups with a single MM pickup? I like metallic colors, greens, blues, help!!!!

The decisions are endless help me choose!

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Was is solid black before? How good does the wood look? Sometimes they choose a solid color at the factory to cover up "blah" looking wood.

4. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeap it was solid black. Upon checking out the wood, it doesn't look half bad to me. Unfortunately chipping away at the paint has put some nasty little dents in the wood so it looks like bondo/paint for this thing!

Thinking like a darker grey color with a black paint mist or something idk.

PS... 10-minute paint stripper does not work in 10 minutes. Pics to come later.

5. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Pics from yesterday. Sanding sucks, but an electric sander makes it a little easier.

Down to Bare Wood!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do you think? If the wood doesn't look good when I finish sanding i'm going to paint it probably like a green/black color scheme. Any ideas?

something like this

[​IMG]

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I like the green and black, but I always wondered why if youre refinishing a bass, why wouldnt you want to try and buy/create a color no one else has?

Wouldnt that make the project more worth while?

7. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Because I don't have the resources or creativeness to do that lol. A friend's brother paints cars for a living and I was pondering paying him to do it.

The next bass I "get" is going to be one I'm going to build. I'm getting the parts list together as we speak.

and that green is just so sexy!

8. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Can anyone give me some pointers on how to oil a bass and what kind of oil I should use on alder? The wood does not look bad and I don't want to paint it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome!

9. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I know nothing about woodworking and/or refinishing. However, if the wood grain looks good and has no imperfections, you might want to consider a tung oil finish.

I kinda like the natural wood and classic sunburst finishes myself.

10. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    If I get it right, it's too late to go natural since u already have some putty applied.

11. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nope no putty yet. I went and bought some today but haven't applied it. there are a few dings in the wood (mainly from where I was scraping off paint) but I'm going to get it sanded down more evenly and see how it looks. I've got this kind of cherry wood stain left from when we refinished our coffee tables that kind of matches my warwick's color.

12. Best advise: A great finish comes from 90% preperation, 10% painting.

13. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I agree 100% lol. I used to paint fiberglass speaker boxes and holy crap... fiberglass is the stupidest thing ever. I was excited to work on an all wood contraption for a change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all rough sanded w/60 grit and stripped. Going to do a 120/150 and possibly 220+ grit tomorrow and get it ready. I've decided on an all natural look so there will be no painting. I want to use Tung Oil. Is there any thing special i need to do to the wood before I use the oil?

Just donated to talkbass for all the help you guys have given! Great website here. Given me the confidence to do this! Thanks!

Brandon

14. If you want a high gloss finish with no grain showing, you will need a clear filler and then finish with an oil like used on gunstocks that has a drier in it. I think Formbys makes one. It will take several coats and heavy hand polishing afer every coat.

15. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
  16. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    When you do a refinish job like this where the neck is going to be off for a long time, I assume you should loosen the truss rod on the neck to prevent warping?

17. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How much would you suggest loosening it? I've had it off for about 3 days now. Even though I'll be replacing everything else I had intended on keeping the neck.

18. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I have no idea if it should be loosened or not. Sorry, I was sort of thread hijacking to answer the question for myself.

19. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    150 grit sanding is done, might jump on the 220 grit today. Didn't take a picture because I don't have a camera nice enough to tell the difference lol.

20. Sindri907

Sindri907

Feb 24, 2009
    Virginia
    +1

Your bass looks really really good so far. Keep up all the great work!